News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Petrol Tank Vents?

Started by Boo, August 05, 2013, 10:14:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boo

Tiger 955i petrol tamk. Open the cap and inside are two vent pipes on the tanks edge. Am I correct in assuming that one is for the vent, with a one way (inlet only) valve and the other is for a water drain outlet?
Gave Tigger a good scrub up the other day, but when I opened the tank cap later ,there was a lot of water around the filler neck. I assumed that this should drain down through the lower of the holes whilst the taller hole that sticks up is for then breather.
problem is, the lower hole will not blow through and the taller one will.
Has someone in the past connected them up the wrong way around? :icon_scratch:
Can anyone advise before I go ripping thinds apart?

Many Thanks,
Boo.

Loops

Hi Boo,

Check the drain hose connectors at the back left of the tank (above the quick couplers)

They're aluminium and prone to blocking due to corrosion.

Just gently poke a pipe cleaner up each one (or gently rotate a drill bit by hand into each one)

Mine blocked and I had water in the tank.

Cheers

Loops
The more I drive the more I love my Tiger

1999 efi Tiger Yellow ~ 86k miles
2012 HD Electra Glide Classic ~ 40k miles
and Her 250 Rebel ~ 5k miles (and only did 16 miles last year!!)

PeteH

Ditto Loops`s reply, be careful removing the drain tubing from the tank fitting tho as mine fell apart due to corrosion which left next to nowt to re fit the pipe. Oh, and when clear spray some WD or similar down the hole to prevent further build up :thumbsup
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Boo

I'll have a go at that this weekend.
  Thanks,
    Boo.

birddogone

Mine was clogged when I got her, compressed air with a rubber tipped fitting will clear it out just fine.
Rod
2006 Caspian Blue Tiger

"If it doesn't run on fossil fuel or gun powder I'm not interested"

Boo

Al sorted.
Used a small drill bit to clean out some seriouse crud in the end of the pipe. Poked a small wire down the tube from the filler neck and eventually cleared it all out.
Dosed it all up with silicone grease and WD40.
All's well again.

Many Thanks.
   Boo.

PeteH

OOh...I do love a happy ending :icon_lol:
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour