News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Lowering the Tiger?

Started by cjmadura, January 15, 2014, 02:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjmadura

I'm planning on heavily upgrading my 2006 Tigers suspension with cartridge forks and a Hyperpro/Yacugar shock. I expect to raise the forks 1" through the yokes and install a 1" lower shock.

My question: I'm not a knee dragger, but has anyone lowered their tiger and experienced any cornering-clearance problems? I already have the lower mustang pegs (3/4"). With the Corbin seat, I'm still a little "up there" at stops (especially with oddly-cambered intersections).

I pretty sure it will be ok, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I've posted this question on Trium**R*T  as well :augie
2006 Tiger 955 ("The Caspian")
2008 KLR650 Blue 21
2002 Tiger 955 Roulette Green (sold)
1991 Honda CBR1000F Red/Black "The Rocket"(sold)
1988 Honda CBR Hurricane 1000 Silver (sold)
1985 Yamaha FZ750 Yellow/Black/White (sold)

brad1098

No problems whatsoever.  Have been running that way for over 25,000 miles.

02 black-Lorna

Bixxer Bob

Dropping an inch you'll need to shorten the sidestand a Tad. And putting it on the centrestand is a bitch :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

cjmadura

I figure I'll need to shorten the center-stand legs an inch as well. The Tiger leans so far over on it's side stand that I wonder if it really needs to be altered.
My KLR stands nearly vertical (!) but has not fallen over yet. I really think the Tiger will be ok.

Thanks!
2006 Tiger 955 ("The Caspian")
2008 KLR650 Blue 21
2002 Tiger 955 Roulette Green (sold)
1991 Honda CBR1000F Red/Black "The Rocket"(sold)
1988 Honda CBR Hurricane 1000 Silver (sold)
1985 Yamaha FZ750 Yellow/Black/White (sold)

Sin_Tiger

I had my Roadie lowered and a thick pad on the side stand, it only ever felt a bit precarious on adverse cambers but you just learn to look for a better position or change the direction you point it when you stop.

Yes it's harder to get on the centre stand but again I found simply using a different technique worked, like pulling backwards with a bit of momentum rather than thing to lift.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Marc

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on January 17, 2014, 08:35:26 AM
I had my Roadie lowered and a thick pad on the side stand, it only ever felt a bit precarious on adverse cambers but you just learn to look for a better position or change the direction you point it when you stop.

:iagree
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Black Pearl

No problems here after 25k miles. Mine has a shortened sidestand, but not the centerstand. To get it on the centerstand I roll the back tire onto a 2x4 to elevate the ass end. Much easier that way....

Keep in mind that when ordering your shock you want to specify that you want the rear of the bike lowered 1", which doens't necessarily mean making a 1" shorter shock. Geometry and all that....
2006 Tiger