News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Which of the 2 R/R Mosfet ?

Started by Marc, October 30, 2013, 05:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Well mine ran awfull while we were away certainly in towns, on the open road it was great all I've done is fit the R/R start it up revs really well and now it's in bits again and use wise it's well down the food chain so it'll be some time before I find out,but I's suspected all was not well because when I took the bike off the Optimate it spun the motor over well and but after a couple of days it was crap,but in fairness it has never been great so it wasn't at the top of my priorty list until it stopped outside the house on our return.

Bixxer Bob

And since you are already battery-aware are you looking for a short somewhere that's draining the battery??

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs but turning everything off, then disconnecting the earth lead, then connecting a multimeter on the Amps setting between the battery terminal and the earth lead will show whether you have or not.  If it reads zero you have no leak.  If it reads a few milliamps you have a short somewhere.

That's mainly for the non-savvy reading this.  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Hatepylons

Quote from: Marc on October 30, 2013, 05:54:44 PM
Is the one with the harness really plug and play?

Was this ever directly confirmed?  :ear  I'm assuming this kit (image) came from http://www.roadstercycle.com/? I'm most likely going to order this kit as I lack the workspace to solder unless I'm doing it on the sidewalk....

Marc

QuoteI'm assuming this kit (image) came from http://www.roadstercycle.com/?

Indeed.

BTW... I'll order the Electrex tomorrow.  Will post my experience later.  BB's mod. sounds hopeful.
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Hatepylons

Quote from: Marc on November 04, 2013, 08:58:50 AM
QuoteI'm assuming this kit (image) came from http://www.roadstercycle.com/?
Indeed.

Thanks for confirming. I placed an order for the Triumph kit from Roadstercycle - had shipping confirmation within 15 minutes.  :thumbsup

Marc

Quote from: Hatepylons on November 06, 2013, 02:50:24 PM
Thanks for confirming. I placed an order for the Triumph kit from Roadstercycle - had shipping confirmation within 15 minutes.  :thumbsup

let us know your results!  :XXcomputer
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Hatepylons

:wheel

I bought the RoadsterCycle Kit, and it was truly plug-and-play from a wiring standpoint. I'm getting 13.9-14.1 consistently after running the bike for 20+ minutes - I'd barely get 13V with the old rectifier after running for the same amount of time.

:blah Installation notes:

1) I found the arch of the wires in the supplied harness "not compatible" with the Girly. I ended up unwrapping the wires and re-wrapping to eliminate the arch. I'm sure I could have manipulated the harness, but it took two minutes to unwrap and rewrap.

2) The spread of the bolt holes is 1/2" less than the OEM rectifier. I ended up "shimming" the bottom mount with random hardware for now. The OE bolt in that location is not long enough - I used an M6-1.00 x 25 SS bolt I had in the drawer.

3) Plug the harness into the new rectifier prior to installing - there's not enough clearance with the engine case to plug in the lower plug once the rectifier is mounted.

Bixxer Bob

I turned mine through 90 deg so the air flows through between the fins instead of fighting them.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Hatepylons

Chris Canning

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on November 17, 2013, 10:13:18 PM
I turned mine through 90 deg so the air flows through between the fins instead of fighting them.

Me too.

Hatepylons

Bracket wise, how did you make it work? (Admittedly, I lack the vision to see an obvious solution at times)

Bixxer Bob

Kept the top mount, rotated it 90 deg, used a 90 deg elbow bracket I had lying around to bridge the gap to the the bottom mount.