News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Dead Girly, and Fix, warning

Started by Wreckergf, January 30, 2014, 02:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wreckergf

Hi Guys, this is a long story but I believe relevant too us all. went out for a run a couple of weeks ago 2006 Girly died after 20 miles.  :icon_scratch: wouldnt start turned over ok. Guessed sidestand swich, so kicked it operated it low an behold sweet thing started ran brill. Stopped in Crieff, to await mates from different area. Went to fire her up after 1/2 an hour, no good would turn over, but no start. Again swift kick and operation of sidestand switch, and off we went, had a lovely day, green welly in Tyndrum for lunch, back home via Stirling :wheel, 220 miles no issue, even through an hour or so of rain.
Got home gave her a good hose down and dry, lubbed chain,  cleaned sidestand switch, liberaly wd'd, checked connections ok.
working all next week, tried to start on saturday not firing again but turning over, noticed I couldnt here fuel pump, ignition off/on now no MIL light or low fuel light, and no pump, lights, horn, indicators, and starter ok. Fuses checked ok
Seats off, side panels off, jumped fuel pump from battery pump ok. Ignition on 12v to pump but not running, checked cabling from ecu to pump found ok, all earths ok.  :icon_scratch:. Decided to plug in tuneecu, couldnt connect, double checked computer connections, drivers and tuneecu software all ok. Assessed ECU dead.
Hunted for a replacement, nothing for a 955 tiger unber £100+ found one on fleabay £60 inclusive for a 955 daytona same model number of Ecu, it arrived next day :wings removed original fitted replacement, ignition on now had low fuel light, and MIL light, and working fuel pump. Yahoo, fired her up, started fine, but rough as f**ck on revving. Connected tuneecu, connected straight away, blew in the proper map, for my Girly. Reset tps, 12min tune, SHE LIVES  :tigger woohoo.
Decided too look at old ecu, found it be very corroded all over, and when bottom  plate removed signs of water ingress inside, possible cause of failure. Found undertray has a 12mm square hole under where ecu sits now my Girly has hada hugger for over a year !!!. What a good design not !!!!!!!! Now sealed up,
Also looks like the sagem S1000 T-3 ecu on all 955 are the same, just maps are different. Hope this helps others and you dont suffer this Wrecker :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

Welcome, and well done. The water ingress is well known to Girly die-hards but thanks for the timely reminder. It does no harm to bring it up again.  And another well done over the replacement ECU.  I replaced mine with a Datona one about 5 yrs ago when the dealer said it was fubarred.  It wasn't; he'd just run the battery so flat it corrupted the map.  But if he hadn't done that I wouldn't have gone on to learn as much as I have about how these old girls tick.  They have lots of foibles, none serious if you look after them, but it's worth doing some reading here; you won't find a better source of Girly knowledge.  :XXsunsmile
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

Good feedback  :thumbsup

Come and meet some other Tiger nuts in July if you're free, we will be doon you're way then, see the Up adn Coming section for updates.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

John Stenhouse

Keep the old ECU, there are companies that repair these and you now have a spare. ECU Doctor in Plymouth was the one I used but there are a few, £75 for a complete re build.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Wreckergf

Hi John I have kept ecu, have had a look for someone to repair, will check with ecu doctor. Thanks.
Syn Tiger, I would be up for that.
Bixer Bob, I have found this forum to be really informative, I think I will become more involved  :wheel