News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Hello! New user looking for some service info/advice

Started by Jings Baz McCrivvens, March 18, 2005, 07:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jings Baz McCrivvens

Hello folks! Just bought a black '99 Tiger with 35,500 on the clock and was wondering what's involved with the 36,000 mile service and average cost. I'm from Falkirk and have the Triumph dealers in Glasgow and Edinburgh to choose from. My mate has a Speed Four and didn't speak too highly of the Edinburgh shops servicing. Another friend has recommended the Cupar bike shop for servicing although they aren't Triumph dealers. Any opinions/suggestions from Scottish riders would be very welcome. Cheers.

robbo

Jings, welcome to the gang.

I just use my local dealer, once the bike is out of warranty there is no reason for sticking to a Triumph dealer. The only think I donÌt get at my local dealer that I could get at a Triumph dealer is a new engine map loaded at service time.

I would argue that a new engine map is not always better and if you really feel you must have it don I had it done on an Aprilia, it cost me £40 all in.

I agree with your mate about the Edinburgh shops servicing, I have heard similar stories from friends who have had dealings with them. Can't comment on the Glasgow dealers.
best Regards

Robbo

Jings Baz McCrivvens

Thanks Robbo. I phoned around a few places yesterday for some quotes and they varied quite a bit. Glasgow (Renfrew)Triumph want £400-£450, Edinburgh £350-£380 and Cupar (non-Trumph dealer) quoted £270 plus they give you a courtesy bike for the duration of the 6 hour service. Edinburgh reckoned a full day for the service too, yet Glasgow said a day and a half as they also included head bearings and fork oil. I know the valve clearances are checked in this service but a friend reckoned the head bearings and fork oil was a bit OTT as they might not need to be touched and I would know myself if there was a problem there. Cupar is looking good so far!

robbo

Ye, Im sure there are some who will disagree but personally I see no reason to use a Triumph dealer simply because they are a triumph dealer.

I use whoever is the best, cheapest and most convenient for me and strangely enough my local dealer who is not a triumph dealer always gives me a courtesy bike while my bike is in for servicing ( however long it takes ).
best Regards

Robbo

The 36K service is just another 12K service. The BIG one is at 24K where things like brake caliper and master cylinder seals are inspected.

Your service should include fork oil and valve check over & above the normal oil & filter changes. The biggest part of the bill will be labour because it takes a big strip down to get to the valves and the forks have to come out to change the oil in them (no drain screw)

Anyway, your handbook lists everything in it. Assuming you got one AND can read. :roll: