News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Missfire, OBD Codes

Started by VM-BASIC, August 04, 2014, 03:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VM-BASIC

So Here`s the scoop, Tiger been running fine, running fine, sudden missfire.
Using the saliva dampenend index finger test, assertain it`s No 2 playing up.
Limp home (Was fortunetly only about 10 K away) park up, walk away in disgust.
Fire Tiger up next day runs fine, no missfire, no hesitation. Thinking coil to myself.
Plug in OBD11 Scantool, shows following codes (According to Service Manual);
P
P0352 Coil B Primary/Secondary Ciruit
P1352 Coil 2 Open Circuit
P0113 Fuel pump Relay open Circuit
P0230 Fuel Pump Relay Fault
P1231 Fuel Pump Relay Short
P0463 Fuel Sensor Circuit High Input

Put Multi Meter across all three coils , all reading about the same, set to 200 Ohm scale as that is the lowest my meter goes, all show 1.7-1.9 on the meter. According to spec this is too high, or am I reading meter wrong?
All wiring checks out good.
So, do I replace all three coils or just No 2?
New plugs going in as a matter of course as I have tank off anyhow, new fuel pump relay wont hurt either, was wondering if Fuel Pump Relay was stored codes from earlier maintainence , turning on ignition without stuff being connected?
Anything I am missing here?
Hoping the tech guru`s on here can save me some cash

Yours hopefully
VM-BASIC
(Note VM, NOT VE)
If you can`t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical fault

2001 in Roulette Green

VM-BASIC

So, after much google searching, seems the fuel pump relay codes can be triggered by turning on ignition with tank off, like I did when servicing a while ago and yesterday when diagnosing.
Some say the 2001 model has no relay, is controlled by ECU, more research needed.
If anyone can point me in right direction about testing coils would be most appreciated.
Thanks

2001 in Roulette Green

Mustang

the coils usually only show symptoms of failure when hot , by the time you strip the bike and can check they are cold and will show fine on an ohm meter .
what happens is the windings in the secondary side actually break , when cold the gap in the wiring is small and the spark can make the jump in the broken winding .
when hot the broken wiring gap becomes too big for the spark to jump the gap .
the root cause is substandard wiring in the coils ,
if your computer is telling you coil fault on #2 , well then you have a bad coil .

VM-BASIC

Thanks for the confirmation Mustang, my thoughts were the same as from experience coils usually show signs of failure when hot.  Having looked at the worst case scenario of a new ECM , the strangled panicked noises from my wallet made me ask the question.
New coil on order from Blackfoot in Calgary it is then.

2001 in Roulette Green

Bixxer Bob

And you don't have to do ANYTHING to generate the fuel system codes.  The sender is notoriously unreliable on the Girlies and can generate those codes with nothing outwardly apparent.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...