News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork seals on '93 Tiger - forks good but something not right! Please help!

Started by AlienFing, September 30, 2015, 06:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlienFing

One of the forks seals was leaking badly when I got the bike, so I had them replaced but couldn't find OEM so bought All Balls Racing which I heard were good. However, the same fork is still leaking badly. The stanchions are in good condition with no nicks or rust etc.

Someone did the work for me, but things didn't look right, but may just be the way Triumph do them on the Tiger! The seal was seated first, then the dust seal (which had to be ground to fit), directly on top, then the securing clip! This was how the original ones came out. Can anyone tell me if this is right as I thought the dust seal fitted on top of the fork, rather than embedded! Do I have some parts missing? Is this how they are supposed to be?

Any help gratefully received!

nickjtc

The securing clip should be next after the seal, then covered by the dust cover.

For future reference (assuming that the stanchions are definitely not damaged/nicked and the chrome is in good shape) see post #13 on this thread:

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,14711.0.html
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sasquatch

On some bikes the retaining clip is above the dust seal.  This is the case for 995 Tigers.  I believe it is the same for the Steamers as well but have not had a set of the steamer forks apart in a while.

I have tried to use All Balls seals here in my shop and stopped.  I had more failures with their seals in one year than I have had with OEM or NOK seals in almost 10 years.  I have recently switched to SKF seals which are even higher quality than OEM.  Many high end OEM bikes are moving to SKF from the factory.

It is very easy to nick a new seal during installation.  It happens to all of us.  The other issue is if your builder replaced the fork bushings.  Even if the fork bushings 'look' good with no brass showing through, they may be worn out and allowing your fork tubes to slop around more, allowing your fork seals to leak.

Just some thoughts.
Sasquatch
adventurepowersports.us

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger