News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New issue, won't re-start after riding. Starts ok after cooling down a bit.

Started by tntmo, April 02, 2014, 06:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tntmo

As I'm trying to fix an overheating issue, my bike decides to give me another gremlin to figure out.  It started ok in the morning for my commute to work.  It seemed a bit sluggish at low RPM, an issue I never had before but I just wrote it off to a cool morning. 

As I got close to the base and traffic slowed down, it was idling a bit low and then stalled.  I pulled in the clutch and tried to start the  bike.  Wouldn't start, turned over ok but no go.  I got the Tiger to the side of the road and tried to start it a couple more times, still turning over but not starting. 

I called a coworker to come get me since I was about a mile from work.  When he got there, I tried again and it started.  This was probably 10-15 minutes after it stalled.  I made sure to keep the RPM's up as I finished my commute and it ran fine. 

I rode it home the same way, always keeping RPM's a bit higher at stoplights and it ran fine.  Would not start when I got home after initial shut down, but re-started ok 15 minutes later. 

I haven't had a chance to check too much yet.  I checked to ensure the stator is charging the battery, and it does seem a bit low at 12.5 volts output while running.

Any ideas?   

Mustang

you probably have found your problem already
12.5 volts is not enough to keep everything happy when running
you should be seeing 14+ volts at the battery terminals when running at say 2 to 3k rpm

tntmo

The regulator failed shortly after I got the bike, replaced it with a MOSFET unit from a Yamaha I think.  I'll do the stator tests later tonight hopefully.

Is the Ricks replacement stator the way to go on these?

Quote from: Mustang on April 02, 2014, 06:51:51 PM
you probably have found your problem already
12.5 volts is not enough to keep everything happy when running
you should be seeing 14+ volts at the battery terminals when running at say 2 to 3k rpm

Chris Canning

It does sound like mine was in Spain the end of last year and that was R/R apart from the volt check put the battery on charge and see if it's the same with a fully charged batter.

Out on the open road it was Ok but in town and with slow traffic was a nightmare the same as you describe.

Bixxer Bob

All of the above. Engine running, you should be seeing somewhere in the 14v range especially with a MOSFET. Since changing mine, I have 14.6v at tickover.  But, starting ok after cooling down is also classic crankshaft sensor failure.  So..... get the volts right first because a Girly will never run right if you don't, and if that doesn't fix this problem, change the sensor.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NortonCharlie

I was going to respond with the same comment as Bixxer Bob.  Classic crankshaft sensor fault if all else check OK.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

tntmo

tntmo

Ok, more information.  Performed the stator tests: read resistance between the three pins, good.  Read short to ground between the three pins, no short, good.  Read AC voltage from stator, all had about 20VAC at idle and about 70VAC at 5K RPMs.  All stator tests appear to be good.  Still putting out about 12.5-12.7 at idle, not much more at 5K RPMS.  I don't think the stator is bad but maybe I'm missing something?

I didn't get to read out the voltage regulator yet, but wouldn't imagine it would be bad.  I'll get more info later tonight.

I haven't done the power mod yet that ties the regulator straight to the battery.  Going to try to do that tonight also. 

The bike starts fine hot while on the battery charger. 

Chris Canning

Has all the sounds of the R/R as for the crankshaft sensor the 885i I had was notorious for it and I lost track of the number of guys I spoke to in person who had the same,press the button if it doesn't go straight away turn the igniton off and try again,I think the record on my 885 was 7/8 my 955 is light years better but it's had it's moments over the years and I've just done the same,the one thing I don't do is hang on the starter button.

Bixxer Bob

Chris is right, but if it starts hot on the charger, it's not the sensor.  That stator looks ok but the output voltage to the battery is too low.  You have a lazy R/R, mine was about the same before I changed it.  In the UK we use Electrex World, they do a standard, or a MOSFET for the same price.  Chris and I both have their MOSFET and the bikes instantly ran better.

I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

tntmo

I already have the MOSFET regulator installed.  When I read the voltage from the output leads from the regulator, it's giving 15VDC.  Everything seems to be operating as required, but I'm losing power between the regulator and the rest of the system.  I need to get the regulator wired directly to the battery with 12g wires. 

Bixxer Bob

I don't have the bypass wiring and still get 14.6v.  Have you checked the 30A on the side of the battery box and fuse 2 in the fusebox for corrosion?

tntmo

I have completed the regulator mod, running the output wires directly to the battery.  Now I'm getting 14VDC at idle and just a touch more at 5K RPM's.  Looking good, now to make sure it's restarting after it's hot and then to see if I get any more overheating issues. 

Thanks!