News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear suspension

Started by fraserdog, May 03, 2014, 10:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraserdog

I took the tiger out for the first decent 2 up run today and I found the rear suspension,how can I say,lacking.To be honest neither myself or the other half are small people but I didn't expect the centre stand to ground out on some corners.Is this usual or is the rear shock knackered (33k miles),I have the preload at max.I bought the Tiger for a European trip this summer and not really sure of the long term ownership of the bike so don't want to spend a small fortune on an aftermarket rear shock for potentionally one trip,i have been offered a good price on a very low mileage stock rear shock but are the stock shocks any good? Any info appreciated guys.
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

John Stenhouse

Yes it's normal, no the standard rear shock is useless, if you don't want to spend the money there are two solutions, neither of which you will like, lose lots of weight or ride slower. Personally I would buy a shock
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Chris Canning

John has covered all you need to know in just a few words but your post made me smile because we too were out yesterday on a setup run on the Tiger,I've had my Ohlins rebuilt over the winter(again) there is a setting that I have used over the years on the shock that makes it even with two people on a top box with that much weight in I can hardly pick it up and a tank bag just a fantastic bike to ride,with just the right amount of movement when it's under duress and non of that pogo stick feel and it steers like a mini moto because you can keep the rear up.

Having been where you are with a stocker and now I've had my Ohlins rebuilt twice because THAT setting that I like absolutely shreads the inside of the shock in 5000 miles,we must have stopped 10 times yesterday for a click here and a click there and some preload and while my Ohlins would be great for most folks with a basic setting even I am looking at a custom Wilbers but  I'm concerned about will it do what I want and cheap they ain't.

So the bottom line I know how you feel about spending big bucks on an old bike the advantage I have over you I know how good the bike can be with a good shock,but yes John is right and it's the Achilles heal of the aging Tiger but in reality is for any big traillie because their unridable at any kind of speed.

You are either looking at a Wilbers which can come in Various specs depending on how much you want to spend.

Hyperpro which is a Dutch company that's also will make you a custom shock

Or the budget option is a Hagon but if you have all the bells and whistles fitted like a remote preload that won't be cheap either.

The Tiger is one of those bikes one up you can get away with the rubbish stock shock but two up is absolutely hopeless as you have found out,I think ours had around 6000 miles on it when my dear wife pointed out while having a break when crossing the Spanish Seirras' it's like being on a pogo stick.

But even when fully loaded with the stock shock on we never grounded the center stand we just had to ride it slower so it sounds like yours is kaput.

fraserdog

I think you're right Chris it must be shot to bits.It's done 33k and talking to the previous owners the bike has done some heavily laden European tours so I think it's taken it's toll on the shock.Decision time I think. :icon_scratch:
1974 Honda CB500/4
1994 Kawasaki Zephyr 1100
2002 "Girly"
1998 Africa Twin RD07a

BCtiger

I experienced that problem last summer touring 2 up in western Canada & US. I found on ebay earlier this year a used Hyperpro from a recycler in Florida which came off a 06 tiger. Purchased it for $300. I took a bit of a chance, but the unit had spring identification #'s on it, so I consulted Hyperpro. They gave me the spring rating & the probable shock it came with. Fortunately, it worked out well for little awhile until I discovered a bit of oil on the shaft. To my surprise in my own backyard of Vancouver Island we have a shock rebuilder who has worked on Hyperpro's, calls his business Shock Therapy. $200 later, a new seal (old one appeared to have grit caught under it), gave the shock a once over & recharged it. Even better now.
Since, we've been on a few Sunday afternoon rides 2 up, sweet, the bike is poised. We are still fine tuning but, in the end $500 later and a bit of luck we have a decent rear suspension. Can't wait for our summer tour.

Roadinator

I need a rear shock, but can't afford it now.  Two up riding and a weak rear shock has really chewed through my rear tire.  Is it normal to have faster than expected wear on a rear tire for those two reasons?  I have a Heidenau K76 with 5K.  Maybe that is close to normal?
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange

John Stenhouse

Sounds normal to me, double that for a front unless it cups badly
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Mustang

pretty much normal wear for a k76 especially ridin 2 up .

if you want some longevity go for a metzler tourance , not the exp's though , just a plain jane tourance . you should easily see 10 k out of one if kept properly aired between 38-42 psi .

Mustang

shinko 705's last a long time too ! and are not a lot of money!

Roadinator

The Shinko 705's are what I have my eye on next.  What do people do when you have a good front tire and want to switch brands?  i can;t see running two different tires.  Guess I will keep the K76 front as a spare.
2005 Triumph Tiger 955i in Lucifer Orange

Mustang

tigers don't care , I run mismatched fronts and rears all the time . it's no problem .

brad1098

I am ready to spend the $$$.  Just don't know which direction to go.  Penske, Hyperpro, Hagon, Wilburs.

My stock shock with 28k is barely adequate with everything turned all the way up when solo.  Add gear or wife and it is a pogo.

Also, I did not have any luck with the Shinko's.  Seems they do not like the horsepower of the Tiger.  Unless you are not easy on the throttle, I personally would steer clear.
02 black-Lorna

Stitch

Time to time been viewing Ebay to see if a good used one would pop up from time to time (Like a rebuildable Ohlin)
Came across a new one from "Brooks Barn" who had a couple of ads with and without reservoir.

Anyone have any insight on "Brooks Barn" (U.K. Vendor); "Remote adjustable Monoshock" (bland Listing and not a whole bunch of info) Is this a Hyper-pro? Something else?
2005 Silver/Black Tiger 955

Chris Canning

Know nothing about the seller but the shock is a Hagon so you could just as easy go direct,but as is very often the case the manufacturer sticks to full retail and you end up else where.