News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork spring replacement

Started by 97tiger885, April 19, 2014, 05:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

97tiger885

It is  probably time to replace the front fork springs on the 97.  These springs are original at 96k miles.   I don't wish to spend a fortune upgrading.  All I need is something that is equal or better than stock.  The plan is to preload and put in 15 wt oil.   Suggestions on replacements? Triumph?  Can I do better for about  that price with aftermarket?  And which ones?

BikeBandit lists the S2 for $80.  Anyone know if this is for one spring or a pair?

Sin_Tiger

Aftermarket ones come in sets.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Frosties

Hiya fella,

These are the progressive fronts I have fitted to mine which work very well.

Not sure if you can get them in the States but its the ballpark price over here for a replacement set.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181365508274

Good luck

rybes

i got those sprngs with the matched rear. one of the best mods i done to me bike
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

fishnbiker

Before going to any spring expenses, have you tried preloading the springs? a piece of the white PVC water pipe about 2" longer than the stock steel insert atop the spring is a major improvement. A bit of a chore pushing the cap down, but a socket & long extension helps a lot.

You might find 15w oil a bit harsh if going on rough pavement or gravel. After much experimentation I found 12.5w ( 50/50 10 & 15) works for me. Forget measuring the oil depth & just add 650 cc every change.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

97tiger885

Quote from: fishnbiker on April 27, 2014, 07:15:42 AM
Before going to any spring expenses, have you tried preloading the springs? a piece of the white PVC water pipe about 2" longer than the stock steel insert atop the spring is a major improvement. A bit of a chore pushing the cap down, but a socket & long extension helps a lot.

You might find 15w oil a bit harsh if going on rough pavement or gravel. After much experimentation I found 12.5w ( 50/50 10 & 15) works for me. Forget measuring the oil depth & just add 650 cc every change.

Thanks for the input.

I think I will do all three.  Put in new springs, preload and go to 12.5. 

Everyone I ask seems to have a different method for adding oil.  Probably why I never did it.

HeavyHustler

I called RaceTech and they have springs for my weight for $115.  The stockers are rated at .46kg/mm and my weight is calling for .90kg/mm(I'm 185lbs).  I'd say get the correct spring for your weight!  Then just run the regular oil.

97tiger885