News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Stripped sprocket carrier stud

Started by Harry, May 22, 2014, 09:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

For no reason other than shininess I decided to replace the sprocket nuts on my 06 Tiger to some stainless steel ones from Pro-bolt. Torqued them up as you should, opposites and working your way around. Torque wrench set at 70Nm. All good. Went for the final 85Nm and the last one started to "turn forever".
Sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach  :icon_cry:
Have had a fiddle about and I'm pretty certain that I've stripped the sprocket nut stud. When I turn the nut the stud doesn't. Can I safely assume I haven't knackered my sprocket carrier?
Now need to draw out the stud. Lock another nut onto stud and try drawing it out? Any better/alternative ideas?
If the answers gets much more technical than that it goes to my local mechanic!
While I'm/he's at it, should the rest of the studs be replaced ... just to be safe, or is this stripping a rare occurrence?
Hoping for your advice,
Harry.

Chris Canning

I use a torque wrench on some things but the majority I don't(engine excluded) and regardless of what the book says 85nm is completely bonkers I'm amazed you haven't stripped the lot,the rear wheel on my 1100s is 105 and I normally take it first 75 and their big bolts and I'm wincing at that,experience/common sense and Loctite are my favorites.

And the answer to your question yup it will have to come out plenty of heat and your choice of extraction.

Harry

Bums!
Thought I was being oh so good borrowing a torque wrench and doing it "properly". Should have just stuck with the old nuts that went back on when I got the new sprockets and chain fitted.
In lieu of any mechanical nounce on my part it's going to be a trip to the mechanic. Can't complain, his place is literally half a mile away ... and slightly down hill all the way.
Harry.

rf9rider

Are you certain its the stud thats stripped?

Some nuts i`ve seen from Pro Bolt have a plastic/nylon insert in them.

Pro Bolt are not the best quality items, bought from them once years ago, never again.

Harry

Sure? No.
But they don't mention any plastic/nylon insert on their webpage.
http://www.pro-bolt.com/stainless-steel-sprocket-nut-m10-x-1-25mm-pack-x-6.html#.U35byflkSSo
And don't get me started on pro-bolt ... I ordered the "set" above then realised that the Tiger only has 5 nuts. Emailed them to change it to 5 nuts.
"Hi Harry,
These come as a pack of six so you will have one spare.
Kind Regards
Alex"
Oh good, I have a spare!

PeteH

Look on the bright side...new studs are a quid (ish) and you`ve got a spare nut  :thumbsup

If its the stud thats buggered then you can try the double nut providing theres enough thread left, failing that get the nut welded onto the stud, failing that chop it down drill it out and use an `easy out`, and if all else fails drill it out...but you need to be precise  :nod

Best of luck and keep us posted  :wave
Tiger 1200 XRt in red, the best colour

Harry

Tried a double nut, but no success. To be honest I'm reluctant to go much further solo. The old nuts had, I assume, been properly torqued when chain & sprox were changed. The stud didn't budge, just the nut, when I was taking old nuts off. God knows how many Nm will be required to get it unscrewing.
welding nut to stud sounds like it could work ... for a mechanic. Luckily I have a spare nut!
Out of interest, how are the studs "fitted" in the first place?
Harry.
PS anyone know of any "motorcycle servicing for numpties" type courses in East Lancashire.

PeteH

Going by the diagram on worldoftriumph I`d say the stud is screwed in....probably got some thread lock on it too, try soaking with WD40 overnight then try again, stilsons on the damaged thread may work too espesh with a big bar on the end.
Make sure you use the old nuts to get it out and save the new one  :nod

Chris Canning

Quote from: Harry on May 23, 2014, 12:21:58 AM
Tried a double nut, but no success. To be honest I'm reluctant to go much further solo. The old nuts had, I assume, been properly torqued when chain & sprox were changed.

I'd be amazed if they were torqued  :icon_eek:,most nuts like those are either nylock or similar so torque isn't any big deal so long as common sense prevails.

As has already been said weld the nut to the stud.

Harry

Thanks for all of you suggestions.
Have ordered 5 new studs and arranged for John (ex Rossendale Kawasaki mechanic) at JP Motors in Crawshawbooth to pick up from where I have thrown in the towel and get me back on the road.
Wimped out? Afraid so ...  :icon_redface:
Be ready for a ride out with NorthWestBiking on Sunday 1st June? Yeah ...  :icon_biggrin:
Harry.

Harry

Well JP did the business on Thursday. All studs replaced with the new ones and the shiny SS nuts on too.
Ran very nice today and a great day for it too.
Harry.

Sin_Tiger

I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

PeteH