News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Question about steering lock and clock

Started by CatalystXXL18, June 05, 2014, 04:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CatalystXXL18

Hi guys, this is my first tiger and I have a few questions. I've searched around and haven't found an answer so I'll ask. 2001 Tiger 955 and I cannot turn the key to the "locked" position. It can go on-off-but then I can't get it to turn anymore. I have the bars all the way to the steering lock but it still wont allow me to turn the key any further. Is there a steering lock position on the ignition lock?

Also, I've noticed that the digital clock is always on. Is it supposed to be or am I not doing something right? I know these sound like stupid questions and I'm mechanically inclined but this has me stumped. I don't want to break my key in the lock or drain my battery. Thanks.

Yukon

After you turn the bars all the way to the left, turn them back slightly to the right while trying to turn the key to the lock position.  This will enable you to find the "notch" where the key will engage to the locked position.  I do believe that the clock is always on but I am not 100% sure.  Welcome to the forum and enjoy your ride!

Jack

Marc

Quote from: CatalystXXL18 on June 05, 2014, 04:43:39 AM
I've noticed that the digital clock is always on. Is it supposed to be or am I not doing something right?

:nod  it is always on.  No problem if you ride regularly.  If you park the bike for a longer time (winter?) connect an Optimate or similar.  :thumbsup
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

CatalystXXL18

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'll double check the steering lock next time I go out. I'm guessing it's like jiggling the key in your cars ignition when the steering wheel gets locked.

lukeman

I've always had to push the key in and let release it to turn it into the lock position once the handle bar was set.

swappy

Hi couldn't use my steering lock the other day, on further inspection tje locking pin wouldn't  locate  im the hole because it was too high. A while back i had the top yolk off to replace the steering head nuts, the old ones were battered the bottom nut has a latge washer attached and the original one had come loose and was bent.
i had to fabricate 2 thin 38mm spanners to tighten the new ones. Anyway i know theres a torque setting for these nuts but I  cant get one 0n the spanners i made so tightend them up slightly n9 play in the forks but very easy to turn with the front wheel off the floor. Put the top yolk back on and tightend it up all seemed fine but It appears the top yolk hasn't gone down far enough the new nuts were genuine parts and appeared to be the same dimentions and were  the correct ones listed for the bike. Sorry to waffle  on but has anybody got any ideas?
Yellow tiger 885i 1999

Bixxer Bob

It seems you mustn't have tightened the yoke down far enough. Have you checked the underside to ensure there's no gap?

Actually, that might be complete bollox, I can't remember what it looks like without going out to the bike and looking.  :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

swappy

Hi, no gap at the bottom yolk even jammed a block of wood under the rear wheel so it pushed down on the front while I tight end it up. So I removed it all again and noticed that the top bearing in the headstock isnt flush, is it supposed to be? The bottom nut is stepped  and has a large washer around it which covers the bearing. The nut only seems to push on the inner race of the bearing. Anyway my point is if the bearing was flush the nut would tighten down more still allowing the washer to spin freely which in turn would allow the top yolk to sit lower then my steering lock would work. It worked before I changed the but but the old but was knackerd and iI can't find it now, thinking that someone might have slimed it down to get over the problem, wrong bearing maybe or is it possible the bearing just wants drifting in more. Any suggestions or similar problems welcome, oh and the new nut was a genuine new triumph part.
Yellow tiger 885i 1999

NortonCharlie

The top bearing has a snap ring in the outer race that should be in contact with the top of the frame.  and the top nut should only contact the inner race of teh bearing as you describe. 
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando