News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tuning for a smooth Tigger

Started by Boo, June 09, 2014, 10:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boo

Ok. So the Tigger is performing well, except for the usual hunting at anything below 2500 RPM. This is I believe a common enough fault and one with which we are all familiar. But it is damned annoying in town.
I was advised to fit a Power Commander. These are over three hundred quid apparently. Now that's an awful lot of dosh to fix a small problem that should not be there in the first place.
Is there any way of fixing this problem without costing an arm and a leg?

Sin_Tiger

Invest in a good quality ODB II cable (Triumph Twin Power down your way do good ones) beware of eBay ones  :nono

If you have an old laptop, preferably with XP, don't throw it, download Tune ECU make sure you use the right USB drivers!

Bixxer will be along in a bit to hold your hand  :qgaraduate
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

Don't go the power commander route.  Because the Tiger has an O2 sensor, the ECU will always trim out any changes made by the PC eventually.

Go to the Girly knowledge and how to thread and get started on TuneECU.  The gen is all there, but it['ll take a lot of reading before you before you fully understand it all.

You can get it to run smoothly, and some have had a lot of success, but mine always goes back to it's truculent ways after a few hundred miles.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on June 09, 2014, 10:44:04 PM
Don't go the power commander route.  Because the Tiger has an O2 sensor, the ECU will always trim out any changes made by the PC eventually.

Go to the Girly knowledge and how to thread and get started on TuneECU.  The gen is all there, but it['ll take a lot of reading before you before you fully understand it all.

You can get it to run smoothly, and some have had a lot of success, but mine always goes back to it's truculent ways after a few hundred miles.

Now it's funny you posting that because only the other day I thinking about exactly the same thing about how my Tiger won't hold a tune over a length of time and yet my 1100s that had a PC fitting in 06 runs exactly the same as it did the day I had it mapped,the injectors need some balancing from time to time and that's it,and I was only thinking that I should have gone the same route with the tiger apart from the fact you couldn't get one for years.

Oh and my XT 660 has a PC and that also holds a tune perfectly.

Both bikes run 02 sensors

Try one of these,I found it made the bottom end better but I wasn't happy higher up the rev range.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/o2-Oxygen-Sensor-Eliminator-For-TRIUMPH-TIGER-955i-2001-2006-/221439326285?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item338ecff84d

Bixxer Bob

Oh well, there you go....

My Blackbird has no O2 and a Power Commander and has had the same tune for years with no problems, but to be fair, it was good to start with, no lumps or anything, just a bit rich that's all.  And the PC came free care of Ride Magazine.

To add detail to what I said earlier, and I'm quoting Mark Brewin, Chris (which doesn't add any weight, just pointing out it's not my theory and that I should've given him the credit earlier) the Tiger only trims itself when it's in closed loop mode, which is only over a small area of the load / throttle position, and by tiny amounts, so it would take a while. 

But you could counter that argument by saying that the PC could be set to change the fuelling to exactly the right balance so the O2 sensor doesn't see any error to trim.  Without knowing in depth what the ECU software (not the map, the actual program) is doing, a lot of this is conjecture.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on June 09, 2014, 11:26:58 PM

But you could counter that argument by saying that the PC could be set to change the fuelling to exactly the right balance so the O2 sensor doesn't see any error to trim.  Without knowing in depth what the ECU software (not the map, the actual program) is doing, a lot of this is conjecture.

With my 1100s it actually came with new Bosch 02 sensor but my XT keeped the original,then you have to make some allowance for the quirky French Sagem injection system because after months of asking questions and being lucky enough to have a friend who makes a living doing this kind of stuff when asking about a PC versus a direct map in the ECU and in the world of milliseconds I pointed out that surely a PC is second best,but then I had pointed out to me that for many years was the only option in town.

For 'normal' bikes that can hold a map you now have the joy of Rexxer my K had a Rexxer map blown in last year and it's still good so trying the same on a Tiger would be a waste of time,years back I remember guys using PC's for other Triumphs on the Tiger until Dynojet actually made one for the model,the problem now being it's the same as the suspension dilemma spending big bucks on an old bike.

Boo

Oooooh dear! This means hi-tech computermabobs and down shifting programs etc. Way beyond me I'm afraid. Now if it was fitted with some Amal concentrics or even 276's, that's another story. I will see if I can get a local techno head to have a look at it. At least now I know it can be done without too much trouble. These things give me tourettes.  Long live the caburettor.
  Many Thanks chaps.
  Boo.  :icon_scratch:

Sin_Tiger

If you can get Amal concentrics to give a smooth delivery you can handle this  :icon_wink:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Chris Canning

Quote from: Boo on June 10, 2014, 09:15:48 PM
Oooooh dear! This means hi-tech computermabobs and down shifting programs etc. Way beyond me I'm afraid. Now if it was fitted with some Amal concentrics or even 276's, that's another story. I will see if I can get a local techno head to have a look at it. At least now I know it can be done without too much trouble. These things give me tourettes.  Long live the caburettor.
  Many Thanks chaps.
  Boo.  :icon_scratch:

You mean those things that if you leave modern day fuel in for 3 months you have strip e'm and clean all the crap out as opposed to fuel injection just pressing the button and bingo  :icon_wink:

Boo

No. Because I use fuel stableiser or I ride it regular. Supprisingly I have had no ill effects with the 276 Amals. After all they are only 66 and 75 years old! :icon_razz:

Chris Canning

I've been riding bikes 45 years next month your fuel injection and ECU mapping is one of the delights of modern day biking my days of messing about with slides/pilot/main jets are long gone thankyou very much  :icon_lol:

budvar

I have to say, the last modern carbed bike I had ('98 Yamaha TDM 850) was a delight in terms of fuelling, no idling issues, no surging or other anomolies just silky smooth power delivery right throughout the rev range come rain or shine.
2001, roulette green (replete with bubbling stripes on the tank,grrrrrr). All stock.

Chris Canning

Sold my last carbed bike an FJ1200 in 99 it was a great bike so were the two previous but time moves on all of mine are now fuel injected and with the advent of fuel maps etc the world is your oyster unless your determined to get stuck in past plenty do,there's a trick to riding with fuel injection just like there is when riding a Tiger,how many on here still ride a Tiger and use the front brake first  :icon_rolleyes:

metalguru

Getting back on course.
It all seems very complex using TuneEcu but with reading until absorbed and a few dry runs the adjustments req'd are very small indeed.
If you are conversant with Exel it make the theory more understandable.
I think I may have been lucky to the point that my last 955 held its tune/map.
I had great success with changes to the A/F and fuel maps to eliminate surging as the CO sensor will obey the map and tune to that. The CO eliminators TBH are not really worth fitting as the CO sensor can be made to work in your favour.
What I did find is all the 955s for some reason are individual and must be set up to the bike as one modified map will not work so well in another bike. (Don't ask).
Have a read of the info and practice connecting to the bike and also dry runs remote from the bike as we all started somewhere and making familiar with procedures will pay dividends. When conversant then we can introduce a few changes to download and try, if you make a mistake it is easy to reload the std map, until the surging is eliminated.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.