News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

suspension ?

Started by Spud, July 03, 2014, 03:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud

Thinking of refreshing the suspension on the 955, I have looked at new models and thought I would rather spend the extra money on petrol and tyres.

So have you replaced your suspension, if so with what and at what type of mileage ?

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Bixxer Bob

Spud, have a little search around mate, there's the proverbial war and peace about it on here, mostly well written my Chris Canning.

But to sum it up:  Wilbers, or Ohlins if you can find one and have the money, Hagon if you don't.  Front end is personal, play with oil weights and springs till it suits you,  or search out a set of emulators.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Spud

Cheers mate thought Chris might be the man, I can't see the point of chucking 10k at another bike when I can spend a fraction of that and continue to enjoy the one I've got.

Bixxer Bob

Exactly my feelings.  I keep hankering after another bike, then look at what I'll be getting for my money compared with the Tiger, and changing my mind.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Either Wilbers or Hyperpro just a matter of what spec you order,I/we went round the houses last year looked at a Multi and a Tiger Sport the1200 Dora is just not my thing so we are back to square one,although I reserve the right to look at the new BMW XR 1000F thingy although god knows how much they'll want for one of those.

Spud

Cheers all for the replies. Time for research and a little fettling for the Girly. I might treat myself to a lighter bike for my 60th in 4 years time but for now the old bird will do

Chris Canning

You want a lighter bike go buy an XT660 bought mine on a whim 4 years ago which is unusal for me there are a few mods you can do to pep the motor up and a set of pipes,knowing how anal!!! I am about suspension apart from dropping the forks through the yokes it's bog stock here in the UK it's all I ever ride,it weigh's nothing will show around 105 flat out and will even cruise at 90 on the motorway and best of all it's a laugh a minute to ride,had a 250 mile day two weeks ago around Tregaron and it was just perfect for the job the only down side if you ride it hard and you can it eats tyres like no other bike I have owned.

Spud

Just been quoted £436 for a Wilbers and £612 with hydraulic preload and advised to get the forks sorted at the same time which does seem to make sense.

Where did you source your kit from Chris ?

Chris Canning

You will have to go to John Gaskell at Revs he is the sole Wilbers importer,unless you go the Hyperpro route.

Just weigh up the pros and cons of the spec of the shock and what your plan is,ie if you buy an all singing all dancing spec shock then if you come to sell it no matter how far down the line you'll get killed in the rush and get top dollar(ask Timbox),or do you go for a lower spec and write the cost off and leave it on the bike if you sell it because the lower spec stuff is always more difficult to shift(if you intend doing that)

£612 seems good to me,and yes you will need the forks sorting because the rear end with a Wilbers on will be so much better it'll just over power the front.

Spud

Thanks Chris, I'll look but I must confess suspension confuses me all this rebound compression control tends to make me say Eh, what ?   :icon_redface:

Hence I seek knowledge off guys who understand the subject better  :thumbsup

cheers Spud   :thumbsup

Chris Canning

I hate bias on forums so I'll shoot myself in the foot but if you ride a Tiger with bog stock suspension you have no idea exactly how good it can really be because with some decent suspenders and set up too taste is a modern day bike waiting to get out,but the important bit is to experiment and all you need to do is have a pen and paper to remember the settings.

Spud

Cheers mate, I think I will be going for a suspension package, I think there is a few years left in the old Girly yet, and to be honest you may well be right I don't think I have ever owned a bike with a really good set up on it. I usually keep things to standard.

I may well be picking your brains mate

XJC

Quote from: Chris Canning on July 04, 2014, 05:59:58 PM
I hate bias on forums so I'll shoot myself in the foot but if you ride a Tiger with bog stock suspension you have no idea exactly how good it can really be because with some decent suspenders and set up too taste is a modern day bike waiting to get out,but the important bit is to experiment and all you need to do is have a pen and paper to remember the settings.

Totally agree with Spud and Chris. We both love this bike and I've always thought it's capable of soooo much more. I've been looking around and I can't see a better value for money replacement so it's time to throw some money at the old girl. I'm 19.5st and when Mrs X is on the back we're getting close to Triumphs recommended load limit. The rear seems straight forward but I need to find someone to upgrade and overhaul the front. I ain't confident enough to do it myself. Any suggestions welcome.

X.
The brain is useless. We must find another brain.

Chris Canning

Your only real option then is to talk to Revs about the forks as well,I'd look at the threads on here about what folk have done with their forks which can range from fitting gold valves to changing springs/oil viscosity/quantity I use Ohlins springs and 720cc of 15wt,but you'll need to do some of your own R+D.

Spud

Mrs has agreed with me  (for once )about the suspension so will be paying the man a visit and forking out some money (sorry  :icon_redface: ) but I will be waiting a little longer as I have a couple of trips coming up.