News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger idle speed

Started by sunny, March 31, 2005, 09:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunny

The idle speed on my 05 is at 1500rpm. The dealer set it to this after it kept stalling the day after i collected it from new! Other tiger owners say it should be idleing around 1000rpm. Q. Is the idleing circuit seperate to the main fuelling otherwise is my bike now revving 500rpm higher in all gears through the rev range?? cheers all

BP_LONDON

Well, my dealer and the service manual (I think)  states the correct/optimal idle speed is around 1100rpm. Mine idles at 1000 and sometimes will stall when I'm riding very slowly. It's now happening very rarely since I fitted the Remus can as the engine seems happier at very low revs...definitely smoother at sub 2000rpm riding.

WildeKurt

Mine was idling arount 11-1200 before service.  After, it's now closer to 1500.  Seems a bit high to me and when I go comlain about the loose fasteners, I'm going to bring it up to the dealer.

abell

In answer to the original Q, I believe the idle parameters (along with a couple of other settings) are set independently of the fuel mapping tune that runs on the ECU. So no, a higher or lower idle doesn't mean anything more than just that.

At least that's my belief, correct me if I am wrong.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

GlenWatt

I bought one of those "Tuneboy" devices.

All the Tiger tunes I've looked at have the idle set at slightly higher speeds until the engine reaches running temp. At which time it tries to keep it at 1200 rpm.

I have had mine jump up to around 1500 rpm when the air temp was a bit colder, but the issue hasn't happened again since the "warmer" weather arrived.
Glen

Email - mailto:glen@watt.me.uk\">glen@watt.me.uk  

\"The Aussies call us Boring... we prefer World Champions\"

sunny

Well if a high idle speed doesn't affect the rest of the rev range then it can stay like that till the 6k service as i can't see much harm. cheers all

knarf

In UK idle speed above 1200 is an MOT fail.
I love the smell of two strokes in the morning