News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Thinking it's an air/fuel issue, what do you think?

Started by nucleardon, October 02, 2014, 08:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nucleardon

Thanks all.
Here is my logic:
The issue with the bike is exactly the same as it was before. The cleaning and filter change, although necessary, made no difference either way, leading me to believe that I was on the wrong trail on my investigation. No problem, knowledge is gained with every experience.

The duckbill was cleaned, the external filter below the petcock was replaced, I did clamp the fuel line, but not the one between the filter and the carbs, because, of course the factory pet is not very good about actually stopping the fuel flow in the closed position.

Balancing the carbs is my next step, perhaps that was at issue from the start, I don't have triple gauges, or even three singles but will hit up a friend who builds customs and borrow .( As a Harley guy, he just gets a shy grin and sheepish manner when I start asking for opinions on my bikes). I will be reviewing the vacuum balance procedure from here and my  Haynes.

The infamous coils....., since there was some mention of spark, and it is common knowledge that the coils have been problematic from that era, I plan to temporarily swap the coils from my perfectly running Trophy 900 as a test, once I confirm they are compatible.

If it turns out to be a coil, any suggestions on what to buy for replacement? And does it make sense to renew all three at the same time?
Thanks again, nic, sin and ssevy,  :thumbsup
1996 Trophy 900 Green
1997 Tiger Red(ish)

threepot

Definitely worth swapping coils. If itt is a coil,Pvl is your best bet(Nology use them). Use leads aswell. Worth checking  crank pick-up gap? Is your airbox STD,good condition,and filter? Strange if bike was running OK previously?
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Bixxer Bob

Go on, take 'em out!  I don't have a Steamer but I became adept at getting the carbs in and out on my mate's using Mustang's method and a couple of goes  :thumbsup
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Mustang

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Mustang on October 23, 2014, 03:21:47 PM
Steamer damn it, fuckin auto correct

:ImaPoser Glad it's not just me.

Did you check the strainers INSIDE the tank? They are fixed to the petcock suction pipes, just remove the two screws holding the petcock to the tank, carefully! Oh and is a good idea to empty the petrol first  :icon_redface:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

t4tiger

Decided to put 3 new coils on as she's getting on. Runs like a dream. Thanks for support and really recommend the jet upgrade :icon_lol:

nucleardon

Happy Sunday to ya :wheel. Just an update on my power/ throttle up issues. I swapped the coils from my Trophy and no improvement, kinda figured  but felt it was worth the half hour effort. I then proceeded to acquire three vacuum gauges, actually just picked up three fuel pump/ vacuum gauge kits from Harbor Freight for about $45, can see some other uses for them on my auto projects. Compared to a 4 gang set that is specific to motorcycle use, these did not have a damper so had to engage my high speed vision to average out the needle position as they did the flutter at idle.
Haynes recommends that you warm up the bike, then adjust the idle screw, which is connected to the #2 carb, to a spec idle of 1000 rpm, plus or minus 50. Once satisfied with the smooth idle, installed the gauges and compared the vacuum across all three, using #2 as the standard value. Now the manual indicates a certain range, 127-152 mmHg. Since the gauges were in Inches of Hg, I sort of punted and just adjusted to have all three gauges approximately equal, and the throttle response simultaneously good.
I'm happy to say the test ride went well, great response, smooth acceleration. Still concerned that the engine noise is greater than my Trophy, perhaps it is just the difference in the amount of faring on the bikes damping the sound on the Trophy, or perhaps I need Scotty to rebuild the warp engines :icon_rolleyes:.
Quick recap for those who may be traveling the same road with their Tiger:  Sudden loss of acceleration/ throttle up after previously running well. Attention given to cleaning carbs, replacing spark plugs, replacing air filter, checking coils by swapping, emptying and cleaning out tank and fuel filters, ensuring the fuel line was not compromised, and finally syncing the carbs, which may have been the heart of the problem from the start. All items were necessary maintenance, and a good bonding experience with the old girl.
Thanks for all the input :wave.
1996 Trophy 900 Green
1997 Tiger Red(ish)

nickjtc

Good for you. It's always satisfying when you solve an issue for yourself without having to resort to 'expert' (= expensive) help. And as you rightly say it is a good bonding experience.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"