News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine cuts out while driving

Started by ToonLoon, November 24, 2014, 02:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToonLoon

Had a bit of a hairy experience, driving along and for no reason bike cuts out, but! the ignition lights on and bike turns over on start button, not firing. Stopped at road side, waits a few mins and try again, bike starts. Managed to get home.

Have checked petrol and tap, coils and good. There was no indication the bike was going to cut out yet this gremlin is still there somewhere. I go out and maybe 5 miles out same, sometimes 10-15 miles yet same thing, cuts out then fires up after several mins and then home,   

Ideas, solutions welcomed.

Much thanks. Jim  96 - Tiger 885, carb model.
Behind closed eyes we are all the same so keep yer eyes open!

threepot

Possibly the Crank position pick up,right side of engine.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

ToonLoon

Thank you, will go have a look now.

Jim 
Behind closed eyes we are all the same so keep yer eyes open!

threepot

Hi Jim, typical symptoms of that part failing. You can buy them on eBay for £40. Set the air gap to .7mm
95 Super111
96 Tiger

rf9rider

If that isn`t your problem, check out the sidestand switch, and the clutch switch.

Bixxer Bob

Classic crank sensor failure symptoms, but you might want to check the tank breather too.  When it stops, open the filler cap, if there's a sucking noise as you do, there's your problem....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

97tiger885

Could be the petcock filter socks collapsing under suction.  Remove both.

The socks collapse: cutting off fuel, causing the engine to die, ending suction, allowing the socks to expand, allowing fuel to flow, allowing the engine to run,  causing suction, cutting off fuel.....