News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What was your mileage when you replaced your sprockets and chain?

Started by atokad, March 23, 2013, 06:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spud

32k on original chain and sprockets, Scott oiler fitted from new  :wave

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

Advwannabe

I was consistently getting about 18k miles out of each set, which always included a fair bit of gravel work, but got nearly 35 out of the last set. I put this down to an automiatic chain lube system I installed. I saw it working on a friends ZX14 and tried one myself.

I dunno about the science or the debate, but this seems to be workingfor me. Now to put an oiler on the 'Bird.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

blacktiger

33K and 32K out of the only two sets I've replaced on my 69K bike.
I too fitted a Scottoiler from new and I also use a 19T front sprocket and replace that at 15K into a new chain.  :thumbsup
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

lukeman

Still running originals at 18.5k miles.   Was going to replace them when I bought the bike, but just didn't need it. Rear sproket is fine, chain shows no stretching, and front shows slight wear.  Cleaned the shit out of the chain when I got it and then started using dupont dry teflon wax chain lube.  Haven't looked back since.

blacktiger

Quote from: lukeman on August 13, 2013, 02:23:32 AM
Still running originals at 18.5k miles.   Was going to replace them when I bought the bike, but just didn't need it. Rear sproket is fine, chain shows no stretching, and front shows slight wear.  Cleaned the shit out of the chain when I got it and then started using dupont dry teflon wax chain lube.  Haven't looked back since.

IMO it's worth putting a new front sprocket on if it's showing any signs of hooking. Cut's down the noise and gives the chain an easier time. AND, if you haven't already, you can put a 19T on.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

atokad

It's been awhile since I posted!  :wave  So I went back to an 18T CS this weekend as the 19T just seemed to take away too much of the low end torque. DAM!  Forgot how much fun the bike was to ride.  I am now wondering what a 17T CS would feel like.  Anyway, just reporting in on my experience.

Probably wont ever use the 19T CS again.

Bixxer Bob

If you go 19T you need to do the airbox mod as well.  And a sport exhaust can.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

atokad

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on January 15, 2015, 09:38:21 PM
If you go 19T you need to do the airbox mod as well.  And a sport exhaust can.
Yep, have them both. Triumph can and off road tune and knocked out the snorkel divider in the airbox.  Maybe it because i do all of my riding above 5K feet? Dunno, thought better air flow in the airbox would make it better at altitude, but I am a lot happier with 18T CS.

Mustang

Quote from: atokad on January 15, 2015, 06:37:29 AM
I am now wondering what a 17T CS would feel like.  Anyway, just reporting in on my experience.

Probably wont ever use the 19T CS again.
Pulls like a freight train on steroids ....... :wheel........... at the expense of about 500 rpm added to every gear for speed equal to an 18 t
and you are always looking for 7th gear  :nod

atokad

Quote from: Mustang on January 16, 2015, 12:48:08 AM
Pulls like a freight train on steroids ....... :wheel........... at the expense of about 500 rpm added to every gear for speed equal to an 18 t
and you are always looking for 7th gear  :nod
Yeah, I went for the lower RPM's initially but missed the "pull"!  If I were going to do a 2 week tour somewhere at highway speeds, I might consider putting the 19T back on.  For these type of roads though, the 18T rocks!

threepot

95 Super111
96 Tiger

Ron in Buffalo