News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Brake pads.

Started by JayDub, May 31, 2015, 10:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayDub

Am I right to assume that the front right and left brake pads are different? i.e. 'handed'
In the parts x reference it says:
Steamers:

"Front Left, VIN up to 71698 (organic pads)  FA 214

Front Right, VIN up to 71698 (organic)  FA 215"

nickjtc

If it is a similar set-up to the rear then each pad is shaped differently so they would be 'handed'. The pic of the 'B' spec set-up in the manual shows the pads being different.
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

Quote from: nickjtc on May 31, 2015, 10:33:36 PM
If it is a similar set-up to the rear then each pad is shaped differently to they would be 'handed'. The pic of the 'B' spec set-up in the manual shows the pads being different.
ah Nick, you would be the obvious man to ask - thanks  :icon_salut:

JayDub

Could someone please clarify for sure which pads are which, as I keep finding conflicting ideas...
I can't find an accurate answer as to which front calliper is the same as and uses the same pad as the rear - some indicate the rear as being a different pad (FD215/2)
From what I can find, this seems to be the common consensus:

Front left is   FA 214
Front right is FA215
Rear is          FA 215/2

I feel I am about to have a mental breakdown  :icon_eek:

Mustang

you got the #'s right

the /2 on the rear pad means it is thicker pad material ...........

I usually only keep FA 215's on hand , all my tiggers work just fine without the /2 pads in the rear

JayDub

Thanks Mustang, I thought so, It seems odd to make one pad thicker - its almost like Triumph are allowing for the uneven wear coz they know people don't grease the slides  :icon_wink:

nickjtc

Quote from: JayDub on June 01, 2015, 08:21:06 PM
its almost like Triumph are allowing for the uneven wear coz they know people don't grease the slides  :icon_wink:

That's an interesting thought......
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: JayDub on June 01, 2015, 08:21:06 PM
Thanks Mustang, I thought so, It seems odd to make one pad thicker - its almost like Triumph are allowing for the uneven wear coz they know people don't grease the slides  :icon_wink:

Thinner rear disc  :nod

Some suppliers sell thinner discs for the front (from Hondas I believe) beware  :pimp
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

JayDub

Quote from: Sin_Tiger on June 01, 2015, 10:45:39 PM
Thinner rear disc  :nod
So why not make both pads the same thickness I wonder  :icon_scratch:

Mustang

Quote from: JayDub on June 02, 2015, 05:29:05 PM
So why not make both pads the same thickness I wonder  :icon_scratch:
they are
the fa215/2 for the rear has thicker pads , both inner and outer pads are the same

JayDub

Quote from: Mustang on June 02, 2015, 06:15:32 PM
they are
the fa215/2 for the rear has thicker pads , both inner and outer pads are the same
Ha! its all becoming clear now.... the bit about one pad being thicker is what I read in a ebay listing - "with the FA 215/2 pads for the rear, the hooked pad is 8.6mm and the other is 6.8mm" it said.... they were obviously speaking through their  :pottytrain2 And Sin is probably right then  :notworthy
But for those who do forget to grease the slide pins - it would be a good idea  :icon_wink:

ssevy

I just ordered pads, and the set they ordered for the rear had two different thicknesses for the rear pads. They couldn't get the 2nd set of 215s for the rear from that supplier, and so had substituted another brand. I told them to get me a second set of 215s instead, which they ordered through a different supplier. The substituted pads were definitely two different thicknesses for the inside and outside, so they were not necessarily wrong in what they told you.
I may not be big, but I'm slow.

JayDub

:icon_scratch: Can it get any more confusing??? but then... I've never liked 'normal bikes'  :icon_rolleyes:

Sin_Tiger

Weird, always just used stock fronts so I can't really argue that one. Think I'll go an measure the offset of the pad against the disc  :icon_scratch:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint