News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

White stuff...

Started by TigerWil, October 14, 2015, 09:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerWil

Anybody seen this white stuff in his inlet ?

It might be the result of the 20 year old plastic fueltank that is slowly dissolving....

Anybody other ideas ?

Been \"Down Under\"from Holland/Europe with my 3 mates on 3 Tigers 955 in oktober/november 2005 and drove 15.000 km in 8 weeks through the Red centre and the Westcoast of Australia ! See our website !

Sin_Tiger

They don't really dissolve. They do manage the neat trick of morphing shape as soon as you put them on the deck and turn your back on them :augie

Could be some effect of methanol or an additive but I'm guessing.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

TigerWil

Could be right Sin_Tiger, but some if the needles were also polluted  :icon_scratch:
Been \"Down Under\"from Holland/Europe with my 3 mates on 3 Tigers 955 in oktober/november 2005 and drove 15.000 km in 8 weeks through the Red centre and the Westcoast of Australia ! See our website !

TigerWil

Reminds me that in some countries like France they add Ethanol to the fuel. Guess that wont be any good to the plastic tank  :icon_salut:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_ethanol_fuel_mixtures#/media/File:Common_ethanol_fuel_mixtures.png

BruKen

Is it sooty? If so and I saw that the first thing I'd be looking at is if the intake valves were seating correctly. i.e. not worn, recessed or with incorrect valve clearance and that valve timing was correct because I'd put that as being caused by blowback if indeed sooty

Mustang

:^_^
I had a gas tank for a spare that had the white crap in it but the intakes never looked like that , probably cuz the bike would die far before that could happen as all the jets were totally clogged with white gas soaked plastic like slime

nickjtc

If this is looking up stream from the carbs to the airbox I don't see how there could be deposits from the tank there?? Maybe its ash from the Iceland volcano that got through the air filter?? :augie
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

Quote from: nickjtc on October 14, 2015, 03:07:23 PM
If this is looking up stream from the carbs to the airbox I don't see how there could be deposits from the tank there?? Maybe its ash from the Iceland volcano that got through the air filter?? :augie
that shot is looking into the intakes from DOWN STREAM of the carbs

when if ever was the last time valve clearances were checked , and does it backfire sometimes out the intakes .cuz I have to agree with BruKen , looks like blowback from valves
A compression test will show immediately if that's the problem.

nickjtc

As always Mustang is the man  :notworthy
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

TigerWil

Thankx for all you're answers; much appriciated  :notworthy

Some others are also talking about aluminium oxidation in the carburettors  :^_^

BruKen

If you have had water in the fuel system the float bowls can corrode. They will block jets and coat needles but I've never seen them coat the bore of the intake like that. A common problem in mercuiser carbed engines of the 80's, but that's boats. I've not really witnessed it in bikes before with any severity. Pop of a float bowl and inspect. I still think it's a valve / valve timing issue.

fishnbiker

Is it a thin coating of white powdery dust? Wipes off fairly easily?

Maybe you might check the fuel specs for your location. My '95 had what looks like the same issue. Several years ago, the Yahoogroups Tiger threads tracked it down to Methyl tertiary butyl ether, (MTBE) an additive in some North American fuels.

If I remember right, it was associated with higher ethanol content fuels. It was an issue with this additive attacking the nylon of the tank & dissolving into the fuel.

Changing to a different fuel company without this additive ultimately fixed the issue, after cleaning out the carbs. Before finding it was the ethanol connection, I first solved MY problem by lining the tank with KREEM, an epoxy pour-in & swish mix to coat the tank innards. Later, changing to another fuel brand was discovered.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE