News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Correct procedure for draining/filling coolant

Started by ds99, October 02, 2015, 07:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ds99

Can anyone here advise me on the best way to do this? (2005 Tiger 955i)

I have found this:

https://www.triumphtorque.com/messageboard/thread/160722-955i-Tiger-coolant.aspx

Are you supposed to fill the coolant, put the tank back on, run the engine, then take the tank off again, then refill, then tank back on? Seem like a right pain in the a**?

Chris Canning

Tank off so you can access the rad cap.

Drop the pipe off down to the water pump and let it all drain off and flush the system through via the rad cap.

Before you do anything else what state is the header tank in?? If it's full of gunge take it off put a few nuts and bolts in swill it about it'll come up like new.

Replace the pipe work and fill from the rad cap now here's the trick!!! Do it slowly when it's up to the top of the rad squeeze the pipe to make sure there's no air lock when happy put the rad cap back on,if it's the original rad cap buy a new one because if it leaks and they do your back to square one.

Then fill the header tank SLOWLY .

Put the tank back on and that's it.

ds99

Chris Canning

Blimey now your making me nervous the header tank is the header tank its where you check the level of the coolant.

ds99

oh, you mean the expansion tank.

i thought there was a "header tank" that was hidden elsewhere.

(why is the tiger 955i such a nightmare to work on? it's really putting me off triumph)

JoeDirt

Quote from: ds99 on October 02, 2015, 10:52:13 PM

(why is the tiger 955i such a nightmare to work on? it's really putting me off triumph)

I rock my bike side to side and shake the cooler to get the bubbles out. :thumbsup

Chris Canning

Quote from: ds99 on October 02, 2015, 10:52:13 PM

A nightmare to work on  :icon_eek: what the hell have you owned before? it's an absolute doddle I had the tank off the other day took me 8 minutes and most of that was getting the bagster cover off just don't strip it with a full tank of fuel  :ImaPoser

Try working on an 1100s access to the battery on the Tiger takes 3 seconds even after 15 years of ownership I can't get it under 45 minutes on my Beemer.  :icon_frown:

Best tip make sure you have a double extension for getting at the bottom of the battery box and the one holding the back of the tank.

And course if you trawl through the posts on here never leave the tank off for any length of time because if you do it does it's own thing and won't fit  :icon_biggrin: well will but blimey takes some huffing and puffing.

If you haven't lifted the tank yet this is what is underneath.

Chris Canning

The tanks goes mishapen,I left mine off for a few weeks and when I came refit it was left thinking that maybe I had someone else's tank :icon_lol:

Re bolts about 15 years ago I chucked all my rubber spanners and tools out and bought some good stuff the problem being I was always having to open up another plastic tool box up half inch,three quarter,allen key,torque key blah blah bought a tool kit from Halfords for 100 quid with absolutely everything in it does wonders and it saves a lot of faffing about and tidying up.

Bixxer Bob

I have an entry, on the ever-growing list of stuff I never get round to, "change all the fastners to one standard head...."
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

It's not just the heads, there's a weird assortment of different lengths / diameters etc. I actually made a list for the fairing / tank and stuck it in the manual as I was fed up with putting the wrong ones in the wrong places (or the right ones IYSWIM).

No such problems on the Sunbeam (apart of course from the metric ones that some DPO has fitted......)
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

Hence why I went from this.

To this.

Plonk right next to where I'm working doesn't matter what head it is.

Sin_Tiger

:iagree the majority of Halfrauds socket tools these days is really good quality and value.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

John Stenhouse

I bought the cheap Lidl version of that, at the time I wondered why, as Chris says I ue=se it all the time now, plonk right by what I'm working on and it's all there.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting