News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tyre pressures

Started by mcilvenny, May 05, 2005, 02:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcilvenny

What's the general opinion on tyre pressures ???   I'm off on my first camping trip this w/e and would like to know what pressures people are running solo and fully loaded with a pillion ???
EeeZeee Tiger

\"96\" Steamer

cbxtc6

and run 42psi Rear, 36psi Front.  I only adjust shock setting with pillion.

I'll run less if off-road, more on the track.

abell

I run R36/F32 on the street.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

robbo

Quote from: "abell"I run R36/F32 on the street.

I have to ask, why donÌt you run the manufacturers recommended pressure.?

I know and understand why people drop the pressure for off road use but for the road IÌve always been told if you donÌt have the correct pressure the tyre will not operate correctly.
best Regards

Robbo

Brock

36 front, 42 rear. Anything different for road use could compromise the handling. Adjust the suspenders for the load carried. There.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

whoa

I run 33/36, recommended by my shop.  Others have suggested 42 too high for the rear.

ThreePutt

My dealer told me to run 40/40
Tom

2006 Tiger
2009 BMW R1200 RT

barjan

At a track-day, they told me pressure is not the most important thing, actually it's tire temperature. Every tire has an optimal working temperature for grip. The tire temperature will rise when the tire deforms. More pressure means less deformation and so lower temperature.

The manufactures will give tire pressures that stil give a good tire condition with maximum load and hot weather. Riding solo one could go with a lower pressure = higher tire temperature. Having said that too low a pressure will effect the handling because the tire deforms too much. This is also affected by the material of the tire and the way the sidewall of the tire is build. Different tire brands react different when at low pressure.

Ergo, you should measure tire temperature when hot like in the races, but that's not practical. Therefore we measure tire pressure, but the instruments at filling stations or cheap ones most of times have a big offset. So, alway use the same instrument you buy yourself and find out a good setting.

I actually keep it on the manufactures choice or just a bit below and I have never had any problem with grip and still the tourances lasted for 25.000 km front and rear.

Mudhen

I run 25/25 in the TKCs on my Steamer and GS.  Unless I'm going camping with all my gear, then I air up to factory pressures.

Someone said I should check the pressure cold and then check it hot and make sure it rises no more than 4psi...still need to do that...
\'96 Steamer

tomla

I run 38/36 on the street, 24/23 dirt, on tourances.

WildeKurt

Can't recall what the psi rec. is but the back of the owners manual gives:  2.5 front and 2.7 metric thingies.  BMW's usually list 3 different pressures:  solo, two-up and two-up with luggage.  The latter being the highest.  Most tire failures are due to running two low a pressure.  Low pressure = larger contact patch = higher temperatures = early tire death.

Kurt