News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Seized brake reservoir screws. Insights please ?

Started by Danwarb, October 15, 2015, 10:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

easyout? aye aye aye, break one off and it's a bin job. Easyout's are not for siezed bolts. Tbh, I don't know what they're for. They're satan's spawn for sure. They invariably break off leaving you kicking your heels. Don't be tempted. Sorry Dan.

Bixxer Bob

:iagree

In all my years of engineering the only time I've had success with an easyout was if the bolt head sheared off through being overtightened. Never once did they work when trying to remove something siezed without a lot of heat.   Ask yourself:  if the bolt / screw / stud is so badly seized that the head snaps off or rounds out, is a smaller piece of metal going to fare any better????

I've had to remove three seized engine studs recently and they all needed drilling out.  Although, just going off a t a tangent for a moment, I saw a video recently of a guy building up metal on the broken stud using a TIG welder until there was enough to weld a nut on.  Then it came out with a spanner.

Anyway to get back to your problem, when it happened to me, I took a 4mm drill, drilled carefully into the cross until the head came off.  Then removed the reservoir cover and then removed the remains with a pair of mole grips.  5 minutes to sort at the most.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

JayDub

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on November 12, 2015, 12:17:42 PMI took a 4mm drill, drilled carefully into the cross until the head came off.  Then removed the reservoir cover and then removed the remains with a pair of mole grips
:iagree with Bob - Thats the best option, but don't drill any deeper than necessary or the rest of the screw will collapse when you get the mole grips on it... put some masking tape on top of the mating face to help protect it too.

ram33

Quote from: Danwarb on November 11, 2015, 09:23:04 PM
Hi Jay,

I didn't think I was after a drill bit like that. The ones you've given me the link to is very new to me.

So I'd initially drill a 5mm hole down the middle of the screw with a normal drill bit, then use one of these 'easy out' bits to reverse the screw out?
dont drill 5mm hole in a 5mm screw or you will have no thread left. use 4mm if you think you can hit the center, otherwise try 3mm first. if you mess it all up you can always helicoil it
tiger 885 / fzs1000
bmw 335d / rr evoque

Danwarb

Quote from: JayDub on October 16, 2015, 02:25:38 PM
And one more... if the heads are already chewed up, drill a 2mm hole just 1mm deep and about 3mm in from the edge of the screw, then tap gently using a center punch in the hole to back it out - works every time.

AH JAY !!!

This was AMAZING !! I got both chewed up screws out ! It's so good I bet I could get 10 of 10 screws back out with this trick !!

Brilliant !!

Black 1995 Tiger 885
Every day is a school day.

threepot

Thats some precision drilling there guy's! :icon_wink: And with a hand drill :notworthy
95 Super111
96 Tiger

nickjtc

Quote from: threepot on November 15, 2015, 11:52:19 PM
Thats some precision drilling there guy's! :icon_wink: And with a hand drill :notworthy

We ARE invincible............... in our own minds, anyway.  :icon_cool:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"