News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Footpeg hanger plate removal

Started by TR5TRIDER, January 04, 2016, 06:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR5TRIDER

Threw my Tiger down the road in November now I am out of  leg cast and trying to repair the bike. Right side hanger plate for rider foot peg and rear brake is bent and brake pedal shouldered pivot bolt is broken off flush with plate. In attempt  to remove and replace hanger plate I have found that the12m torks socket head bolt is terminated at the thread end with a nut which I am unable to locate and put a wrench on as rear suspension and center stand cloud things a bit. The Triumph factory worksop manual makes no reference to this plate and sequence for removal.  I have done a search and come up with nothing. Has anyone on this forum information on doing this, before I go to removing various and sundry items that may or may not be required.

Mustang

get under the bike ..............
look up next to the dogbones for the rear shock........
you will see the nut , it's a 19mm and a box end wrench works perfect .............. :nod

Nick Calne

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

TR5TRIDER

Thanks for the reply Mustang, doesn't seem doable as lower suspension parts and center stand disallow any of my box ends to engage the nut. Have now started taking exhaust system down so as to remove center stand  (which was damaged in the crash up) and will not support the bike safely. May also try heating and modifying the wrench. Damaged center stand needs to come off anyway so when that is gone access may be better, we shall see.

Nick, thanks for the kind words, actually the fractured bones were painful and the cast limited my mobility, although greatest damage was to my ego.I am a '37 model and have no one to blame for this but myself.

Sparky

Here's some pics that might help the wrench is slid in between the shock spring and the dog bone.  There is no exhaust on the bike in these pics.
1998 Steamer. Sold, replaced with a 2016 Africa Twin.
1982 Honda FT 500 Ascot,  1983 Honda VT 500 Ascot

TR5TRIDER

Thank you Sparky, the pics are very helpful and seem to confirm my thought that in order to access the nut the center stand must be in the down position, as shown in your pic. Is that correct? I am going to remove mine as it is part of the damage to my bike and not able to support the bike. This should let me get a wrench on the nut.

ZuluSafari

I used an offset box-end wrench, that fit up between the dogbones and locked in by the shock bolt.  My center stand was down each time, and I guess it would have had to be for me to access the nut.  I was surprised to find the nut at all, since the rest of the bolts holding the LH footpeg in place turn into captive nuts or threaded bosses.
Some People are like Slinkies - not really useful, but watching them fall down stairs makes you smile...