News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel Tank

Started by kennyjd, March 25, 2016, 12:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

London_Phil

As mentioned in other threads, and in case you are not aware, there is VERY LITTLE behind those inserts, so proceed with caution.
These are the petrol tap ones, but they all have a similar amount behind them.
Good Luck

Regards

Phil

nickjtc

This all makes me so very happy that a) my Steamer never had this problem (even if the tank did grow a bit) and b) that the 1050 has a metal tank.............. even with chrome handlebars. :icon_wink:
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

kennyjd

Quote from: London_Phil on March 26, 2016, 04:19:48 PM
As mentioned in other threads, and in case you are not aware, there is VERY LITTLE behind those inserts, so proceed with caution.
These are the petrol tap ones, but they all have a similar amount behind them.
Good Luck

Regards

Phil
That is the very one that has been punched out, did you have a  solution to yours??

London_Phil

I'm afraid to report the picture is from a scrap tank I butchered years ago.
If its one of the tap mount screws, you may be able create some kind of clamping arrangement, using the outer shaped oring for the tap to create the seal.
At least there is some meat at that point in the tank.
I will see if I can find that part and post some more pics.

kennyjd

Sorry if I misled you the punctured insert is the one closest to the fuel tap, I am starting to think I may have a plastic dowel welded into the hole and live without a fastner .

Sin_Tiger

Have a think about making a little top hat / T plug to weld in from the outside, then weld a serrated threaded insert in on top of it.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

What about a new look? This looks better than the current Scrambler IMHO.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

kennyjd

Update on the tank, A 6mm blind metal top hat has been inserted with JB Weld Marine epoxy from the inside of the tank, pulled into place from the outside with a spacer over the outside of it with a 6mm bolt and some washers just nipped up to hold it in place while the epoxy set, next move is to get some fuel in once the epoxy has had a couple of days to cure.

Sin_Tiger

Good job, fingers crossed.

Take some photos if you can, sounds like an interesting alternative that might also help someone else.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

nickjtc

Quote from: kennyjd on April 01, 2016, 11:22:13 AM
Update on the tank, A 6mm blind metal top hat has been inserted with JB Weld Marine epoxy from the inside of the tank,

That must have been 'fun' to do. :augie
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

JayDub

Quote from: nickjtc on April 01, 2016, 04:29:37 PM
That must have been 'fun' to do. :augie
yep, someone has patience  :icon_salut: