News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

one of many chains?

Started by hedgiesfu, April 30, 2016, 03:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hedgiesfu

hey folks, thanks for all the info about the cam chain, glad to know that jobs done, i am still hearing a chain like/ dentist drill noise coming from the engine, mostly under braking and going over small bumps.

what else is chain driven in the engine?
could it be the water pump or oil pump for instance?

for the record engine is at 42500 miles, cam chain replaced tensioner spring and guides replaced also, worked a treat shes pulling like a train again

:BangHead

nickjtc

"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

Mustang

Sin_Tiger

:iagree

Good news, I take it the valve clearances were good then?

Let me know when you're ready to do the rear brake, now that you can  :wheel you'll need it.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

hedgiesfu

yeah naill, the clearances were good, pulling great again, not sure about the DAR thing, noise is still there coming from the front of the engine as i said before, it sounds like a dentist drilling on your teeth, only happens under braking or going over bumps. the rest of the time i dont hear it
i'm convinced there is another chain in there but i have looked at blueprints and exploded diagrams and they havr came up with no clues.

threepot

Could be your front sprocket casing is full of crud etc?? Had the same.....it was that!??
95 Super111
96 Tiger

Beernard

Maybe worth a look. I was coming down the Oxley Highway last week and a weird noise happened on the brakes and going slow (most of the time!). Suspected Brakes/ cam-chain / something in the clutch/ weird shit. Turned out the drivechain rub block had shit itself. Chain on metal - not obvious under power.
That's all, good luck.
Ripper, woke up again.

Timbox2

Quote from: Beernard on May 01, 2016, 10:38:53 AM
Maybe worth a look. I was coming down the Oxley Highway last week and a weird noise happened on the brakes and going slow (most of the time!). Suspected Brakes/ cam-chain / something in the clutch/ weird :Topes. Turned out the drivechain rub block had :Topes itself. Chain on metal - not obvious under power.
That's all, good luck.

I had the same on my last Girly, the block had actually spun round 180 degree's and had worn through to the metal sleeve.
2016 Tiger Sport

Sin_Tiger

Best way to check noises like that is to try the same thing in different gears. If the frequency changes depending on the gear you're in as opposed to engine speed then it's transmission related.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

hedgiesfu

ok guys just been out and had another listen to the noise, went up and down the gears at the same speed
the noise seems related to the speed of the bike as opposed to the revs of the engine, still no closer to figuring this out, i might just rip the casings off and jiggle s##t around to see if anything is loose, failing that off comes the alternator :BangHead

Sin_Tiger

Drive chain / sprockets / rubbing  strip / block.

BruKen

To add to the mix. What do your brake pads look like? Especially the rear pads.