News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Speedometer Woes

Started by ArizonaKid, June 01, 2005, 07:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaKid

The speedometer on my 02 Tiger has recently started acting up (doesn't work some times, other times the needle jumps all over the place and sometimes it works fine).  It doesn't appear to be a mechanical speedo, but there's a cable that comes off the front wheel, so. . .  Does anyone know how this thing works and what might be the problem here?
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

AndyM

The speedo has two plugs, one for the speedo and a smaller one to switch between the odometer and the trip meter. I would check the larger plug to make sure you have a good conection. Easy to do but you have to pull the fairing.

robbo

DonÌt know if its related but a friends VFR800 started doing that. It eventually broke down and when he got it checked it turned out to be a faulty rectifier which had cooked the battery.

go look at some VFR forums, its apparently quite common.
best Regards

Robbo

kiwitiger

Have you changed the front tyre lately? Maybe you didn't locate the lugs correctly when you replaced the axle assembly.

cbxtc6

Mine did the same thing this morning.  Tach too.  Everything else is fine.

???

I'll investigate connectors at lunch.

ArizonaKid

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't had the front wheel off in a while, but I have had the bike off road recently(?).  Anyway, it worked fine this morning coming to work. Probably pull the fairing and check the connections as suggested. Thanks again.
Arizona Kid

2007 Triumph Tiger

cbxtc6

My battery was dead.  I charged it, and it worked fine for  awhile, but  I'm not sure it's getting a charge from the alternator.  I put test leads on the battery while revving it, and the voltage didn't budge - dang.  I think I need a new stator or regulator.  I will try a new battery first, since it's a logical first step.  I would think these maintenance free batteries would last more than a few years??

The Daytona 955i is the same way - the first syptom of a weak battery is the speedo starts acting up.

ArizonaKid

Good thought, but I just replace the battery this last weekend and had speedo problems on Monday, so. . .  ruled that fix out. Thanks anyway.
Arizona Kid

2007 Triumph Tiger