News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Tiger Owner Seeks Longer Fingers...or Clutch Lever Mod

Started by localhero365, April 12, 2005, 10:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

localhero365

Hello everyone,

So I'm running in my new Tiger and have a couple of questions.

This is a great bike, but the guy who made the clutch lever obviously had a genetic modification from birth that caused his fingers to grow to extraordinary length. I've seen brake lever mods on this forum but can't find if anyone's had any success with clutch lever mods.

Has anyone simple tried warming up the lever and gently bending it?

Has anyone found a replacement lever?

Thanks for your help to a Tiger newbie.

ArizonaKid

I was looking at the new Speed Triple and the new Sprint the other day and they both have adjustable clutch and front break levers. I'm thinking that the ones on the Speed Triple may work, but I'm only guessing.  

I have relatively small/short hands as well and it is quite a reach,  but you get used to it after a while and it's no longer a concern.  Just one of those "getting used to" kind of things.
Arizona Kid

Riding hard and fast down Arizona way

2007 Triumph Tiger

Tigerpete

I don't think I've got small hands but I too find that riding in town my clutch hand quickly gets sore because of the long reach. My local dealer is aware of this problem and has reported it to Triumph as several other people have mentioned it.

Adjustable levers from elsewhere in the Triumph range will fit but because of their different size the handguards will not fit.

52blackshadow

My local Harley Dealer (Silverstone Harley Davidson) has a Buell in the showroom as a showcase for some trick bits produced by a local company (in one of the units on the edge of the circuit).  The Levers on that bike have a very trick system with a six position cam giving six way adjustment.  They really are a piece of art, but the price of ¬£ 100.00 per lever seems a bit steep!

Agree that the reach is a bit long in town, have you thought about leaving a bit more slack in the cable so that the pressure comes in later in the travel - if you don't overdo it then the plates still seperate cleanly!

Cheers,

Shadow.
Ride safe!!!!!

ChrisN

Conversely, you could bend the handlebar forwards...... :lol:

I'll get me coat......
Chris

flyaway

Hey folks,

take a look at SBF Motorcycles http://www.cosiba.de/

The new hydraulic clutch system (MAGURA) is adjustable :wink:

localhero365

That hydralic clutch looks interesting. Thing is I quite like the hand guards, don't really want to get rid of them if I can help it.

Has anyone tried heating and bending the lever? I reckon it only needs to be 10mm closer.

Shadow - I'll take a look a the looser cable option also.

Thanks all for your input.

ChrisN, I'll help you find your coat! :)

Mudhen

Didn't I see someone post that they had ground down the pivot point a little bit to get the lever to sit closer to the bar?

I know I had thought about trying it but Steamers are different...I ended up pulling the little brass insert out of mine and it was enough to get the lever to fit inside my Acerbis handguards...
\'96 Steamer

NortonCharlie

I seem to remember from the Triumph Tiger Yahoo group that KAwasaki has an adjustable lever that simply replaced the old one.  Can't tell you what model Kaw that was for.

Found this on the sight they seem to be talking about replacement brake lever,  But it also said something about levers from late 80's and 90's Kawasaki using similar levers.  So maybe a trip to the local Kaw shop to look for comperable parts may yield an adjustable clutch lever.

QuoteFor our US members in an earlier post Richard C found a similar part

for the adjustable brake lever: Lockhart Phillips stock #240-1215

OEM# 13236-1185 Brake. Only $17.95 plus tax in US Tennessee dollars.

Big thanks to Richard for giving me the idea to do some research
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

tomla

I just drilled a small hole in the clutch perch and inserted a hitch pin.  Now i can reach the lever quite easily.

abell

You may be able to try the dogleg lever that Triumph put onto bikes like the Speed Triple nowadays.
2005 Tiger

2001 Daytona

Robbie

Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger