News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New to Steamers. Having fuel delivery issues at high speeds

Started by KamikazeKunze, October 06, 2016, 08:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KamikazeKunze

LOL. YES, whenever I try to twist it, it dribbles...... I'm liking you guys already!!!!!

Replacement petcock will arrive today? I ordered a set of crash bars off eBay.
I already has a replacement K&N air filter to install as well. Quick question on the air filter side.....why not run three individual air cleaners per carb, with a dirt shield between it and the rear of the bike?

Plan in tearing into it tomorrow when the kids are at school.

Thanks

Mustang

because it needs that stupid air box ...................or it will never run right

JayDub

I tried twisting AND pulling mine today - but it didn't dribble  :icon_scratch:
Most of those who tried the individual cone/pod filters had a tough time getting the tuning right.  Steamers seem to prefer a stock filter set-up, and any change - particularly to the airbox volume - causes headaches... but there are a few who say they've had great success  :m

Nick Calne

Quote from: Mustang on October 11, 2016, 08:34:18 PM
because it needs that stupid air box ...................or it will never run right

Why is this? I still don't get it.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: Nick Calne on October 11, 2016, 10:32:01 PM
Why is this? I still don't get it.

The volume of the chamber, the frequency of the induction tract pulses, the pressure variation in the air box and the differential pressures across the carb throats are just the major factors in getting the best charge into the cylinders at the right time. Vary one outside the limits and you have to adjust the others to compensate with no guarantee you'll get the same response characteristics even though you get the sane power and torque.
:^_^
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

threepot

Some owners of the early triples claim success in fitting 'pods' on triumphrat.net . I did consider it just to make maintenance easier ? But since I've cut the back section,and the bike runs fine,don't see the need now.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

KamikazeKunze

Yup, I heard a picture is worth a thousand words. It is...... thanks Threepot

threepot

My opinion was 'it's only a piece of plastic' !! It's not as if I'm messing with the 'mechanics' of the bike. If the bike runs like shit after,I'll just buy another box. But I'd recommend it done? Re fitting to the carbs is so much easier,and as long as the screw heads are good,you can just about tighten them all back :icon_smile:
95 Super111
96 Tiger

KamikazeKunze

Thanks to everyone for the help so far!!!!!

So, after installing not one but two batteries. First replacement was a dud. And figuring out I switched a couple coil wires, the Tiger is alive!!!!!
I did the air box mod and installed the K&N replacement filter.
All, is well except when in WOT the motor doesn't want to rev between four and five thousand RPM. Below or after that it runs like a raped ape.

Replacement petcock installed without screens and I didn't find any screen in the fuel line between carbs 2 and 3. Hopefully I'll be able to run it this weekend and see if I'm good to go.

Thoughts?

Mustang

mikunis or keihins ?

midrange needs some love

lift the needles
mikunis are easy they have notches

keihins need washers

you need at the least ,a 1 notch adjustment

or you dont have a good seal on the airfilter and youre sucking too much air

and steamers don't like wide open throttle all at once

you need a set of 105 main jets if you're gonna ride it that hard .

P3aK

:iagree what he said.

Had the same problem myself. You need to lift the needles. On Kehins you put a washer between 0.5-1mm thick. I went for 0.7mm.

Make sure your airbox isn't leaking.
And get the jets if you don't have them. It makes the difference.
Triumph Tiger 900 -98

KamikazeKunze

Thank you all for the replies. Sorry I was late getting back to you.
The new job is keeping me busy.
They are mikuni's.
I did'nt reseal the air box after the mod. I didn't recall that until I read your posts.
I'll seal it up and see how she performs, if that doesn't do it I'll follow your advise on the carb adjustments.

Thanks again!