News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oh crap. Idle fluctuating.

Started by bemusedinsojo, October 26, 2016, 11:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bemusedinsojo

I took my steamer to class about 40 miles north. Ran great (especially with Ozzie singing to me). When I parked on the side stand, fuel ran out the left side. I closed the petcock, swore, then went to class. After class I went to start Freddie but he didn't want to start. Finally started but didn't want to idle. I drove home but at every light it tried to die. I adjusted the idle knob and that kept it from dying but slow speed shifting was not pleasant. It would only idle at 3000 rpms. Anything less, it died. I searched but couldn't find anything. Anybody have an idea as to what is happening? Fall is in the air, the leaves are turning, so I want to get more road time in before the snow falls.
Thanks.

Mustang

you have a stuck fuel needle in 1 or more carbs

its running way too rich :bug_eye

bemusedinsojo

:BangHead Ok thanks Mustang. I thought I cured that problem. Could it be something funky with the floats and needle valves? One of the float tangs was bent weird and the valve spring looked different too, like it had been gone after with pliers. Maybe the engine vibrations did something weird to it. Now that say it out loud it sounds dumb. Either way I gotta pull the carbs.

tonytiger

Good luck hope you get it sorted  :5moped

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: tonytiger on October 27, 2016, 08:11:19 PM
Good luck hope you get it sorted  :5moped

Thanks! it was doing so well. But I admit I didn't do the right things. I should have pulled and cleaned the tank, and broke down and cleaned all the carb parts. Plus check the petcock filter and between carb filter. But I didn't because I wanted to hurry and get a few rides in. So pay now or pay later.

threepot

Looks like a botched job at resetting float heights by a previous owner? Engine vibrations wouldn't cause that.
95 Super111
96 Tiger

bemusedinsojo

It was me. I reset the float levels to 14.5. It worked out for a few weeks. I've gotta give all fuel and air parts a good cleaning. It was fun while it lasted.

tonytiger

bemusedinsojo

Quote from: tonytiger on November 01, 2016, 03:23:56 PM
have you got your bike sorted?.

No. Thanks for asking, though. I'm in the final stages of a Master's project so I have been too busy. Also, I have to see the orthopedic surgeon who fused my neck to determine if I need a lumbar fusion or if I continue with PT. I'm afraid Freddie will have to wait to sing me high notes on the freeway.

tonytiger

Sounds painful. I understand your masters will be time consuming
our son is studying for his in electrical engineering Hope yours goes well.