News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Enlightenment

Started by ghulst, March 13, 2017, 03:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghulst

Weight is one of the things I find a downside to the steamer. Are there any suggestions, or best practices to lighten the steamer? If I could lose 20kg of dry weight, that would make all the difference to the bike, I would think.

There are some conditions...

- It has to give at least the same amount of wind protection
- It has to keep its range
- It shouldn't cost a huge amount

Suggestions?

(I am considering options. I mean, my steamer is a '93 and the trouble with it is that they are now kept out of a series of French cities for environmental reasons because they are too old. So, the question is whether I can make it good enough/better to keep it, or should I sell it now that it can still access all of the Netherlands and people forget about France and environmental rules. -I do work trips there.-)
2008 Triumph Street Triple R | Ex Triumph Tiger 900 T400 1993, Tiger 800XC 2011

London_Phil

Exhausts are a major weight area.
I removed my originals due to baffles rotting out, and replaced with S/S Venoms.
I was surprised at the weight difference, the oems were V heavy.
I'm not sure how you could make a bigger, one shot,  weight saving, that wouldn't involve turning it away from the Steamer we all love.
RE emissions, I bought an XC for the same issue, among others, with London becoming prohibitively expensive for regular trips.
No exceptions for bikes.
Will be possibly putting the OEMs back on if Sin has any success rebaffling them, so my Venoms may be up for grabs,  possibly.

Nick Calne

I'm on the same journey with mine.  Exhausts are the biggest weight saving, and so high up, which is what really matters.

Never do anything because of the French.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

ghulst

Quote from: Nick Calne on March 13, 2017, 07:01:14 PM
Never do anything because of the French.
Well, if it helps the business. ;)

Nick Calne

Well OK, but consider it an exceptional circumstance!  :icon_lol:

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Sin_Tiger

As above +

If you have crash bars they could come off.
If you have a centre stand that could come off in favour of using a portable stand for maintenance.
Use an aftermarket shock, they'll be lighter than the stock one with the remote reservoir.
Swap the standard battery for a lithium one.

That's all I can think of without - a) taking bits out of the engine, b) using titanium disc screws and sprocket nuts, c) picking up an angle grinder  :bad
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Beernard

How about taking a leaf out of the historic racer handbook? Get a nice, sharp quarter inch drill bit and drill the shit out of anything that looks like it can handle it! :wings
Nah, just kidding.
I, too, am having a crack at reducing weight as my bung knees are struggling at times to hold my Steamer up (with the occasional pathetic failure!). The most significant thing I have been fortunate enough to do is replace the full exhaust system with a Remus 3-1 (T509, T300?) that I bought for a pittance off Oz Fleabay. That necessitated the removal of the bashplate, but I figure that this is a roadbike - in my hands, anyway! The original exhaust weighed in at 10 kilos and the Remus at 4 - and it is low-slung. Still tuning, but running OK. Haven't weighed the bashplate yet.
A big part of my thinking was to piss the cans off so I could more easily hang soft luggage over the seat, rather than stack stuff up high. But, of course, I actually miss the sound (can't have everything!).
This has, as always, come with its own complications and is in its early days. If the mod proves successful, I can let you know.
Good luck in your endeavors.
PS beware of doing anything you can't undo.......
Ripper, woke up again.

ghulst

After a 1200km run, I am considering moving bikes again... Perhaps getting something lighter on the side. ;)