News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Mikuni Carbs with K&N Air Filter Pods

Started by bluesatyr, February 24, 2011, 11:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluesatyr

Hey guys,
I'm rebuilding the Mikuni carbs right now on a 96 Tiger and was wondering if I could get rid of the air box and put on some K&N filters for better air flow.  I'm looking at the Dyno-Jet kit for the bike and spoke with their Engineer about jetting, but he says I should keep the stock air box.  He also said that with that kind of airflow increase, I should go up to a 140 Main jet to start and go from there.  Does anyone have any success with the K&N filters that can help with the necessary jet sizes?  Any other recommendations?

One of the reasons I'm getting rid of the air box is because it's trashed.  I'm going to have to break the box to replace the filter, or do some kind of custom attachment anyway.

Thanks

Mustang

Quote from: "bluesatyr"Hey guys,
I'm rebuilding the Mikuni carbs right now on a 96 Tiger and was wondering if I could get rid of the air box and put on some K&N filters for better air flow.  I'm looking at the Dyno-Jet kit for the bike and spoke with their Engineer about jetting, but he says I should keep the stock air box.  He also said that with that kind of airflow increase, I should go up to a 140 Main jet to start and go from there.  Does anyone have any success with the K&N filters that can help with the necessary jet sizes?  Any other recommendations?

One of the reasons I'm getting rid of the air box is because it's trashed.  I'm going to have to break the box to replace the filter, or do some kind of custom attachment anyway.

Thanks
you can do the pods but the tigger aint going to like it .....tiggers like that silly fookin airbox , and when you buy a new triumph air filter , guess what ? you get a brand new airbox with the filter already installed

bluesatyr

So, Mustang, I see you are a man of knowledge with these bikes.  Would your recommend an exhaust replacement?  I can't find one anywhere for this bike.  My headers are all dented up and the actual cans are pretty worse for wear.  Thought I might treat her right.  She's got 68grand on her.  The top end was recently done and the motor is strong as hell.

JetdocX

So why fuck with it?  Sorry, I need to ask.
From parts unknown.

bluesatyr

I've had this bike for a long time and it's awesome.  Besides, my wife can't ride on the ducati.

fishnbiker

Speaking from personal experience the 140 main jets would likely be overkill even without any filter. I built a Porsche K & N into one to fit the Steamer. A lot of fiddling set me up with # 130's. My airbox is about 12% larger ... 55 Sq in vs. 49 for stock. I have a Girly 3 into 1 header tied up to a GSXR Titanium  can. This gets me 101hp on the Dyno, but my mileage is down as well as torque under 4,000 rpm. Semi sane riding gets me 37 mpg, dropping to about 32 when being silly. Should be better when I get the Kehins installed soon. Will have to start all over with the jetting, but the Kehins have 105,000 km less on them

K & N's version for the Steamer is a straight replacement for the original paper insert in the airbox. Not much of a change. You might get by going up 1 or 2 sizes in the jets, likely not more. The Tiger airbox is a fragile part that will crack at the slightest provocation if not carefull.

I have heard of some questionable success with 3 little K & N's, one on each carb, but have no info on jetting for them. Crankcase venting is also defeated using this method.
Ken/Fishnbiker
& Felix, blue 95 Tiger, & Buzz, 08 blue Suzuki DR 650 SE, & Mini-D, 97 white Suzuki DR 350 SE

Spendo

i tried putting pods on my '96, it required lots and lots of fussing with the carbs, and still would not work correctly (lack of power at full throttle)
so i finally gave up and put the airbox back on.
but i did put a K&N in the airbox and 2 smaller foam filter pods on the airbox intakes, and used rubber sheathing to keep the dust from the rear wheel well from the filters, and drilled some extra holes on the side panels to let some more air get in there.