News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear shock

Started by Nick, July 27, 2017, 12:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

If your thinking of replacing your rear shock, you can't go wrong with an M shock from the shock factory, £350 inc delivery
I fitted one back in 2012 and was amazed at the transformation from the original, at first I was a bit reluctant to buy from a relatively unknown manufacturer. And could find little info on the web about them.

Anyway I did approx 1800mls with it before moving to Cornwall, and due to other convictions etc; it was off the road for 4+ years. It was stored outside under cover during this time, however the Cornish climate is very unforgiving to chrome, and I was devastated when I saw the peeling and pitted chrome on the damper rod. (My fault should of sprayed it with some sort of corrosion protection)
So I contacted "The shock factory" to see if it could be refurbished and was very surprised to learn that a total rebuild, no matter what is replaced is £50.

So I sent it off to their factory in France via Parcel Force, E mailed Mike (the owner) at their factory to see if they had received it a week later, they hadn't seen it. Turns out Parcel force dropped it in France then washed their hands of it, it went missing and no one knew where it was. Mike was very helpful and tried to locate it at his end, but no luck. Customer service at Parcel force are useless, will never use them again.

Anyway bike is on my ramp supported on axle stands for a month! Shock is nowhere to be found, looks like I'll have to buy a replacement. Mike at M shock could not be more helpful, he very generously agreed to give me a 25% discount on a new replacement! He didn't have to do this, It was not his fault after all, but this is the sort of EXCELLENT customer service he gives.

Anyway, more about the actual shock. They are tailor made to rider weight, type of riding one or two up etc; and come already set up with the correct spring pre-load and damper setting. I fiddled about a bit with the settings, but found myself putting it back to the factory settings which seemed best. I am in a position to compare this with other brands as I have a Harris Magnum with a WP shock and another Harris with an Ohlins shock fitted. The WP shock I have seems to make very little difference when you change the Rebound or Compression damping compared with the M shock. And I would have no problem with replacing the WP or Ohlins for that matter with an M shock. They are very well made, come with a two year guarantee and can be re-built.

I also used to have a Suzuki GSX1100EFE with a Hagon damper and I was not impressed with that either! There are so many aftermarket shock manufacturers at the moment, and it's difficult to know which one to go for. The M shock is up there with the best! and for the price is a no brainer!!  It is with no doubt one of the best and Mike Capon at the shock factory is a suspension wizard. Check out their website www.shock-factory.co.uk

JayDub

Thanks Nick, thats handy to know.  I'm considering a replacement/upgrade from the steamer stock one, I may not have to save up for much longer then  :thumbsup