News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Leaking oil - any advice

Started by trimbo, June 27, 2005, 11:32:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trimbo

Hi,

My triumph 900 is leaking oil form where the clutch arm goes into the clutch plate cover, its spits out when reving over 6000 revs or so and subsequently lands on thr rear tyre / brakes (not good!).  There is a small dust / oil (only cost about 90p) seal in the clutch plate cover that seals the clutch arm from the outside world, but on changing this the leaking has worsened, anybody had a similar experiece / solutions to this problem.  Hope someone can help as Im off aon my hols on iy in a couple of weeks!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robbie

Hi Trimbo

Welcome to the site.

the oil seal should stop any leak, if this has been changed and the leak is still there then i would suspect that there may be a problem with the clutch lever shaft or the bearings beeing worn. if that is all ok then i would look at the breather system, it sounds as if the bike is pressurizing the crankcases and poping the seal.

check the breather pipe for kinks and blockages. do a compreshion test and see if you have worn rings.

do you have any blue smoke from the exhaust?

how many miles on the bike?

Robbie
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

trimbo

Hi, Thanks for that, today I took the needle bearing out of the clutch case cover and compared it to one in the local Triumph dealer, and there appears to be a seal built into the bearing ( a green ring ), and the palstic oil / seal above this needle bearing is bagged up as a dust sel not an oil seal so maybe thats why it didnt help.  Bike is 1999 31000 miles no blue smoke, all spark plugs look great.

I will test build it back up this week, performing a service awaiting parts....does anybody know where you can het pattern air filters from as the Triumph ones are very expensive art near £30...thanks again!