News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Re-jetted a 98?

Started by nightowl, March 01, 2005, 10:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TigerTrax

Got Guts?

I drilled out my original jets; added a 2 or 4 degree advance timing disk; drilled out my exhausts ( just a wee bit ).

'98 Tramp Steamer runs hard! Ask my buddies who own newer Tigers!!

Zip me a not off list..... I'll try to help you through it.

mailto:RiderGRoup@cox.net">RiderGRoup@cox.net

Jerry

'98 Tramp Steamer
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Mudhen

Quote from: "TigerTrax"Got Guts?

I drilled out my original jets; added a 2 or 4 degree advance timing disk

I'd be interested in hearing more about this...were you trying to dial in a certain amount of advance, or did you just pick up the rtr-tri-21-04 rotor from Factory?
\'96 Steamer

TigerTrax

First of all..

send me an e-mail direct and I will send you the info:

mailto:ridergroup@cox.net">ridergroup@cox.net

Just a note:

For over a month I have had hesitation problems at all speeds. I removed, cleaned, and reset the carbs TWICE in 10 days. After that I knew it took someone with more skills than I had. ( I knew I could play

remove and replace parts until it went away ... but that was not a solution.

So I contacted a friend at a dyno equipped shop and told him what I was wrestling with. He went over point by point what they would/could do.

I asked him if they can tackle electrical problems (coils ?) He said the dyno does not tell them that ... they simply make the carb settings then attack other problems.

After 4 days:

1. CArbs are set spot on, but still some hesitation.  They said it is electrical..... so I called a Triumph dealer.

a. The coils on the Steamer are not tvery good and usually start crapping out at 20,000 -30,000 miles ( Spark plug coils AND Pick-Up coil.

And the new ones are not much better!

b. Dealer suggested using coils from a Daytona. Hotter spark and last forever. So we did. ( Totally different !! )

c. Installed OEM Pick-up coil

Hooked Tiger up to dyno ..... Shazzbaa .....

The scalded cat do fly!

The bike runs better than new (52,000 miles )

At idle: 1000 rpm quiet, constant, smooth.

At slow speed ANY GEAR: No clutch; steady, and pure smooth 'roll on power.

At road speed: crisp response, quiet, smooth power.

At high speed ( 80mph+) WHack the throttle and the torque is right there.

The dyno showed that torque was constant IMMEDIATELY through all RPM's .....................NO DROP ANYWHERE.... very rare ... but Tigers should do that.

I would say this. Take your bike in and run it on a dyno ($50 )

Let them tell you what it is doing and what needs to be done.

Run it on a dyno again and see if that solved the problem.

If you have more problems.... change the pick-up coil and the sparkplug coils   ( $300 -$400)   Carb rebuild and set   ($250)  Dyno ($100)

It's a bitch! But the shop owner told me the carb adjust should last about

20,000 - 30,000 miles.

I ride my Tiger as a 'work distractor' and a way to relax.... I figured why not .... and spent the dough.

You will not be disappointed ... I guarantee it.

Before you use a dyno shop:

Make certain they have a variable load input and an exhaust gas analyzer. Then ask if their people are certified to run, read the results, and correct the problem.  Ask riders who have used them. It's a lot of money .... play tough!

Good Luck.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'