News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Iron Butt riders around here?

Started by squeezer, April 27, 2006, 10:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squeezer

I'm looking at the Tiger as a possibility for my next ride.  It seems perfect for 90% of the riding I do -- commuting, long day rides, some relaxed touring, bits on fire roads...

I also, though, do the occasional Iron Butt style distance rally -- 1 or 2 day events, not the official big honker, but still racking up lots of seat time and miles -- and I pick up an Iron Butt certificate maybe once a year.

I know at least one person -- maybe more -- has competed in the Iron Butt Rally on a Tiger, but I was wondering if anyone on the forum competes in these kinds of events, and if you had any insights on how the Tiger performs there.

Truth is, it probably won't my decision on whether or not to buy a Tiger, but it may affect my decision on whether or not to enter more long distance events.  ;D

AndyM

I did an ss1000 on my Tiger and will do another this year. I've also done several 700-800 mile days on it with no problems.

tigerhund

I have completed BB1500 and have ridden several 400-650 mile days on my Tiger and I love it.  I plan to attempt the 50CC on my Tiger weekend of June 3/4, leaving from Jacksonville, FL, early morning on June 3 headed for San Diego, CA.

Some goodies I have added to support long distance riding/safer riding in general:  Thunderbike larger front sprocket to reduce cruising RPM (one tooth larger than stock); Jack Lilley mirror extenders so that I can see something other than my shoulders in the mirrors; bar end spot mirrors (convex) from Saeng, TA for blind spot viewing; Thunderbike Crash bars wtih supplemental lights for better day-time vis and better night time  illumination; Radiator/Oil cooler screens from Triumph Tiger Online in the UK for flying debris protection; and a Corbin Canyon Dual Sport seat for comfort.

IMHO the Tiger's tank is a bit small for long distance riding, but without a chain oiler, the fuel capacity forces one to stop and lube the chain about every 220 miles, which is about right.   Also, in an effort to squeeze the full 220 out of the tank on long trips, I carry two aluminum camp stove bottles (the red ones with the o-ring tops to prevent leaks) that I bought from REI, filled with preserved fuel in case I run out while stretching the tank.  If you follow this procedure, be sure to buy one of the pour spouts for the bottles so that you will be able to get the stuff into the tank without pouring it all over the outside of the bike.

Also for LD riding, I wear a hydration pack over my riding jacket so that I can sip all day and fill the pack as necessary at gas stops.

The tubeless conversion for the spoked wheels on pre-2005 Tigers would be ideal for LD riding, allowing one to carry a plug kit and small pump.

Best Regards, MJ

squeezer

Thanks, guys.  I appreciate the feedback.

If you can do a Bun Burner on one, that's good enough for me.

I've done that CC50 on a Kawasaki Concours.  Did the Jax to San Diego route.  I've actually gone farther over 48 hours a couple of times since then, but that was still toughest ride I ever did.  Maybe it's because of the different climates and weather patterns you go through across the country, maybe because, like an idiot, I was tired when I started.  Since that one, though, I've always made sure I've given myself permission to quit before I head out.  It's a fun challenge, but not worth getting hurt.

Have a great one.  And keep that hydration pack handy.

wtrlogd

Here's a link to my Saddlesore1000 Sep2005

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96643

More recently, I did a BB & Border2Border, link is here:

http://www.trailpilgrim.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1825

No gold on this run, I think the 18 hours of hard rain and the hour long snow blizzard near Mt Shasta killed too much time.

On my 2005, on the highway, I usually plan stops between 200 & 210 miles, always using less than 5 gallons to fill. I've gone as far as 240miles on a tank, without fear of running out. Stock gears... the chain on my 2005 in an O-ring type chain, just spray a little O-ring lube on it every few thousand miles. Sprocket and chain are still in good condition, 11,500 miles so far. I did replace the rear tire before the run to Tijuana last month. Bike is stock except for Tourtech engine guard and sheepskin on the seat. Put some highway pegs on for the last ride, but removed them after getting home. Only used the rightside peg a few times to rest my right knee, not needed for the first 24+ hours. They looked like hell.

The Tiger is Iron Butt ready, just hack the stock windshield off and gas it up.
2005 Triumph Tiger

1997 ATK605DS

fxrs89

1348 in 30 hours for the 1000 in 24 Saddle Sore 1000

1636 in 31 for the 1500 BB

1540 in 23 hours to barely make the BB Gold

42.33 in the CC50 from Ocean Beach SD to Jax Beach Fl

(longest part was from Jax city limits to the actual beach!)

All on a bone stock 2000 Tiger with a Cee Bailey 4W6T and a tank bag.... No fancy lights, seats or handicap bars in case I fall. (reminds me of the handicap stall in the toilet!)

I did 240 every three hours drank gatorade/water mixed at every gas stop and peed everytime I gassed up.  Turned around and tried to do the 100CC on theway home..  Stopped to sleep at Lake Charles LA for a quick nap, and ended up sleeping for 9HOURS... end of the 100cc quest. but still made it home in 60 hours.

The tons of deer in western Texas at 2AM standing in the middle of the road will help you remember how to pray!!!

The Tiger is an AWESOME ride!

Ron-
Time flies like an arrow-

But fruit flies like a banana...

fxrs89

1348 in 30 hours for the 1000 in 24 Saddle Sore 1000

1636 in 31 for the 1500 BB

1540 in 23 hours to barely make the BB Gold

42.33 in the CC50 from Ocean Beach SD to Jax Beach Fl

(longest part was from Jax city limits to the actual beach!)

All on a bone stock 2000 Tiger with a Cee Bailey 4W6T and a tank bag.... No fancy lights, seats or handicap bars in case I fall. (reminds me of the handicap stall in the toilet!)

I did 240 every three hours drank gatorade/water mixed at every gas stop and peed everytime I gassed up.  Turned around and tried to do the 100CC on theway home..  Stopped to sleep at Lake Charles LA for a quick nap, and ended up sleeping for 9HOURS... end of the 100cc quest. but still made it home in 60 hours.

The tons of deer in western Texas at 2AM standing in the middle of the road will help you remember how to pray!!!

The Tiger is an AWESOME ride!

Ron-

tigerhund

They may look like the rails from a handicapped bathroom stall, but they saved me from having to replace tank and handle bars when my wife hit a sandy patch and low sided her 1999 Tiger in a parking lot.  The shift lever was the only casualty, and I hid the scuffs on the Thunderbike bars with black reflective tape----I love them.

I have to take my hat off to anyone who can maintain an average speed of 80mph over several hours--my average on the interstate is usually in the 70 range including fuel stops, and I am not shy about busting the speed limit on the open road.

fxrs89

What is really weird is accounting for all the time you take to make  a coast to coast in 42 hours and finding out that adding up your gas and pee stops alone, and coming up with over three hours!

You are probably right about the guards... I am just jealous because I don't want to shell out the bux for them yet.  I just hope I don't have to shell out the bux for a new tank and sides if I do go down on a ride.  Still waiting for other options to the Thunderbike crash bars and oil/radiator covers.  (love my new thunderbike muffler though!!!)