News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Parallel misalignment wheel problem?

Started by Tim955i, July 21, 2006, 06:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim955i

Parallel misalignment in wheels?  Ran a decent straightedge from rear wheel (against tire) to front wheel (ditto) and seem to have a parallel misalignment where rear wheel is offset about 3/16" to 1/4" to right.  Rear tire wear echoes this (more wear on left of center), also at low speeds bike seems to want to fall gently to left.  Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot.

Any ideas short of re-lacing real wheel?  Anyone else been here?  '03-Tiger. Thx/Tim

Jim S

New one on me mate.

Only time I've seen that is in sports bikes that have came in for MOT, failed due to alignment. 99% of time this is twisted yolks. sets the front wheel off and then doesn't run true with the back.

If the back wheel runs true when you spin it then check the adjustment's aligned, next place two straight edges against the back tyre and see if it's true with the actual bike. This should show where the misalignment is.

My bet would be bent forks or twisted yolks form a prang earlier in life. A set of yolks or possibly fork legs will be required to repair. Although, I have had some in was just a case of slackening the yolks and trueing up the fork legs. (tightened up yolks with forks sitting squint) :roll:

Hope this helps mate.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

The Midnight Rambler

Presumably you have taken into account the difference in widths of front and rear wheels, the mis alignment being the difference between the offsets on either side of the front wheel.

If its any help I found this method effective when I got my back wheel out of line: http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/sportrydersw ... thod.shtml
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
― Hunter S. Thompson

tyrebyter

I've probably missed something obvious, but can't you align the wheels by moving the rear wheel adjusters?
\'01 Camo Tiger

\'98 Speed Triple

Foxy

Quote from: "tyrebyter"I've probably missed something obvious, but can't you align the wheels by moving the rear wheel adjusters?

Yes, but then you change the chain alignment, which is fairly critical to getting the best life out of a chain,

Brother Number One

Quote from: "tyrebyter"I've probably missed something obvious, but can't you align the wheels by moving the rear wheel adjusters?

This will make them parallel, but if they ain't in line...

GPz900s suffered from this because the front mudguard acted as a forkbrace.  There was a manufacturer's stamp on the inside of the brace which, on some, caused a bit to go proud and this stopped the brace sitting properly and put the wheels out of line.  I found it because I noticed that all was in line before I started tightening the bolts.  

If I were you, I'd eliminate the rear, first; the spindle is tight against the adjuster on both sides, isn't it?  Then look at the front.  On the GPz, you could see something was wrong just by looking down them from above.  A twist in your forks will make the wheels go out of line.  Good luck :D
2015-16 USA & C.America: http://sawthingsclearer.com (click it, click it, click iiiit) 04 silver Tiger, Touratech Zega panniers, CCC titanium can, NWS hugger