News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel Injection problems

Started by stevea, July 19, 2006, 09:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevea

I have a 855i Tiger that developed a fuel injection problem in the middle of a 2500 mile trip.  At first it would miss on one cylinder when it was cold and would clear up after the engine was warm.  I thought it was a spark plug problem and replaced the plugs.  One cylinder was running richer than the other 2.  The new plugs did not help and I added an injector cleaner for 3 tanks of fuel.  The problem gradually got worse and it would not start cold with out towing it and would not run below 2500 RPM even after the engine was warm, but would clean up at higher revs.  I ended up leaving it at a friends place about 100 miles away from home.

I pulled the injectors off the throttle body and hooked them to the fuel tank.  When I crank it over 2 injectors spray more fuel than the other one.  I don't know if I have a high fuel pressure problem or injector problems.

Where can I get some information on troubleshooting a Tiger injection system?

Also consider having the coils tested.

Jim S

Sounds definitely like an injector issue. I've not heard of issues with the injectors themselves, sorry can't be more help.

I'll see if I can find out more for you mate.
04 Tiger and 97 Blade

looch

When was the last time the throttle bodies were sync'd?
Looch

NortonCharlie

Did you try swapping the position of the injector?  Just to eliminate the possibiliy of an electrical problem to that injector.  You should be able to check the fuel pressure.  The 955 is supposed to run 3.0 Bar +/- .25 Bar.  I would guess yours should be in about that range.  The manual cautionns agains turning on the ignition with either hose disconected because that by-passes the fuel pressure regulator.  That means you will be dead heading the pump (bad) and will likely blow a hose somewhere (most likely right off the fuel filter).  The Triumph gage just tee's into a line that is like an extension hose.  It would be pretty simple to rig up if you had a couple spare connectors.

BTW  1 Bar= 14.5 psi

You might be able to have the injectors bench cleaned at a good auto repair shop.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

tyrebyter

You didn't mention whether the Check Engine Light is on. If it is, the stored trouble code might be of some help. Failed injectors will often exhibit out-of-range coil resistance. I don't know what the prescribed resistance for your injectors is, but you can compare the three to each other and expect less than a half ohm variation. Instinct tells me your problem is elsewhere... but instinct didn't keep me away from my first wife.
\'01 Camo Tiger

\'98 Speed Triple