News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Steamer Chain & Sprockets

Started by Tri2Fly, August 13, 2006, 02:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tri2Fly

I'm replacing the chain and sprockets this week on my '97.  The back sprocket should be easy.  The front job looks like a bad joke, what with removing the oil, footrest and sidestand, then dealing with dowels, clutch pushrods, etc.:roll:

Anyway, a couple of questions for you owners who have done this before:

1 - What size socket will I need for the nut on the front sprocket?  Have I heard 36mm, or is that my imagination?

2 - The instructions in Haynes recommend replacing the sprocket cover gasket, the oil seal and the tabbed lock washer.  Can I re-use those parts if I'm careful taking them off?  Is that gasket plastic or paper?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

Cheers,

Randy

mcilvenny

Have done my chain & sprokets and it's not such a big deal. You will need a 36mm socket as you thought for the front sprocket nut. It is possible to use the old gasket, it is paper but if you can get it off in one peice you'll be ok. Again the oil seal and tab washer can be re-used if careful when removing.

It is possible to do the job without having to drain the oil, if you have the bike on a center stand or paddock stand you can remove the sprocket cover without to much loss of oil. Just have a drain pan under when you take the cover off and refill oil to correct level when the jobs complete.
EeeZeee Tiger

\"96\" Steamer

Tri2Fly

Thanks, mcilvenny.  With your confirmation that it's a paper gasket, I'm going to wait until the dealer gets me one.  I might be able to save a plastic one, but I think the paper would fall apart on me.  I'm pretty sure it's the original gasket, and ten years on the job is enough.

Alright, I'm off to the tool shop for the 36.

Regards,

RR