News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil Change

Started by Bliker, October 11, 2006, 04:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bliker

Does anyone else find that 4 liters is to much oil, when doing a oil/filter change on the 955 Tiger. The oil is usually 1/8" - 1/4" high on the dipstick when using 4 liters.
2004 Tiger

NortonCharlie

Depends on what year dipstick you have.  My 01 955 takes 4 liters right on the money, My 02 RS takes 3.2 liters to top it up.  The dip stick is about 1/2 inch longer.  I am ordering a newer dipstick for my Tiger so it doesn't use as much oil.  I think Triumph figured out thet the oil level was a bit high with the original design so did the easy fix and made the dipstick longer.  Don't put in to much or it will start blowing it into the airbox.  I don't think it will cause any damage but you will find your oil  level starts dropping pretty quick after you get about 2000 miles on the oil.  It will level off when the oil gets down to the proper levels on your dipstick.  Or if you would like I'll swap dip sticks with you and yours will hold 4 liters.

Charlie
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

On my '02 I generally have a little left over after an oil & filter change. About 50~100ml I think.

tigerhund

By golly, after I have gone to the trouble of figuring out how much four liters is, I am putting every damn drop of it in there no matter what the dipstick says.