News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Female Pillion

Started by jizerbike, February 18, 2007, 08:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jizerbike

Hi all,

Well bought a 855i Tiger last year with the intention of doing a few trips with my wife on the back as my previous bikes have not allowed this, we have encountered a curious problem.

Firstly and most importantly my wife is enjoying being pillion but is complaining of a strange vibration that hurts her genitalia regions. It seems to develop above 60mph, is this the nature of a triple engine, have any of you female riders / pillions encountered something similar? Have we encountered something that needs more research?

I will look forwards to your repsonses and keep it clean please!

Cheers

TigerTrax

You sneaky dog.... you put a vibrator under her seat....

Actually... the 885 is avery smooth running bike.... I had one for  5 years.

The first thing I'd look at is the chain for tigtness, alignment, and signs of wear.  Check your front & rear sprocket for wear.

Then tires. Check for abnormal wear & alignment. Check the rim for

signs of being bent.  

Check her footpeg mount bolts.

Check rear shock mount. While there... lay on your side on left side of bike at rear axel..and look straight fwd on inside of swingarm... there is a 'rubber pad' which the chain rides on... if that pad is worn the chain rides on the metal potion of the pad.... not good. Change the pad. They usually last about 30-35,000 miles.

Very often, vibration in the rear ... comes from the front.

Check for loose motor mounts; Front wheel/tire.

If those look good.... you have to dig deeper.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

MARKC

I've just sold my 885i. I my pillion tells me she had no problems 'in this area' . The only vibes I got were through the bars. and these were reduced dramatically by fitting a 19t gearbox cog.  The only other  suggestions I have is to make sure the throttle bodys are in sync,have a play with the suspension settings when two up as the vibration may be 'road noise' transmitted by the rear shock. If all else fails get a pillion air hawk seat for her.

jizerbike

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

The bike has only got 6000miles on it and I checked chain tension etc and all seems fine. I find the bike one of the smoothest I have ridden so I think a Airhawk type seat is the way to go but I think we are going to try some padded cycle shorts first as these appear to be a cheaper option.

Thanks

M.T.

You might also try one of the sheepskin seats from Alaska Leathers-  I have not had the opportunity to use one yet, but everything I have read from people who have is VERY positive.  I would think this would cut down buzzy vibration a great deal (and be very comfortable besides)  I think they can be had at a very reasonable price,  probably not much more than the padded shorts- sexier too!
-RainRunner Extrordinaire

speedjunkie

Are the tires cupped?  Especially the front.  It won't transmit a bunch of vibes to the bars, but it might numb the bumb.  How agressive is the tire tread?  Might have something to do with it as well.  

Mike
\'01 LC4 640E

\'06 Triumph Tiger

Foxy

If it's enough to hurt surely you'd be able to feel it from the rider's seat, especially as the Tiger is a wonderfully smooth and comfortable bike.

Perhaps she just doesn't like you going too fast?