News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

jerky throttle

Started by bigroney, February 08, 2007, 11:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigroney

hi im a newbie,got 2006 tiger change from sports bike (yam r1) love the tiger, got problem with splutter when filtering traffick at slow speed the dealer said a lot of tigers have this problem as its before the fuel injection kicks in,can any one tell me how to sort out this problem and were to buy this from cheers

Tigerpete

I have had this problem on my 04 since new. If you do a search on this site you will find that some folk on here swear by plugging in an oxygen sensor by pass thingy which seems to eliminate the problem. My bike is 'lumpy' between 2000 and 3000 rpm on a steady throttle. Throttle on or off is no problem and to be honest it does not bother me enough to do something about it. The by pass thingy is about £20 and requires the removal of the tank to fit it. Your dealer will probably advise against this action as the by pass thingy is designed to be fitted in conjunction with a power commander.

Chris Canning

Weeelll!!! war and piece has been written over the last couple of years about the 02 bypass,if you look at your down pipes you'll see what is called a lamba sensor it checks the gasses that come out of the engine,then sends messages back to the ecu to correct the fuelling,the problem being it's chicken and egg syndrome,hence the jerkyness,it also varies depending on which map you have installed in your bike,the latest doesn't always mean the best!!!!.

The O2 bypass fools the ecu that it's running at the pefect setting and reduces drasticly the jerkyness,although there's been a lot of debate even about that,what i found is it's a trade off,better low down but looses the crisp edge when you pasteing the motor!!!,the big plus for those that own early 955's you connect it behind the back of the motor on the left side above the gearbox sprocket,so it takes only seconds to do,and you get a very quick comparision,all the rest of the later models means lifting the tank,will it 'do it for you' ??? only one way to find out and at 20 quid hardly a great risk,and no you don't need to use it in conjunction with a PC,it's possible you maybe get a better result with the two after a couple of hours on a dyno,just remember both products are sold by the same people so you can work that out for yourself!!!.

I tried one for some time,but found as most of my rideing is done not in traffic,the minus's out weighed the plus's,but that doeasn't mean you'll think the same!!!!.

bigroney

thank guys for the info im only filtering to and from work and getting the problem on constant throttle 2 to 3 thousand revs £20 isnt alot  so i may give it a try, i dont want to loose any power or response when riding hard as my mates ride sports bikes, its brill on twisties and the power out of bends makes them struggle to keep up initially till they get up the gears,

THEY DONT CALL IT GRANDADS BIKE NOW.

Is there any mods or after market bits you would recommend and where from as the only add on ive put on is a blue flame double baffle exhaust which gives it a great sound (got it £150 at NEC bike show)

cheers

Another thing that I've seen on these sites is installing the "off-road can" ECU map even though the bike is bog standard. It's said that just doing that smooths things out AND makes it all more responsive.

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpBB2/vie ... php?t=3017

Chris Canning

Any other mods??,put a K+N in,and before you do, look into the hole/slot were it goes you'll see a blanking plate,cut it out with a dremmel (take the air box off),don't try separating the two halfs of the airbox.

Change the engine sprocket to 19 the peformance of the bike will still be exactly the same even though it's pulling another tooth but will have a higher top end and everything else will be done 500 revs less!!!.

bigroney

after reading last reply 19 tooth sprocket is being picked up tomorrow going to order K&N air filter next question is what seems to be the best crash protection to use i have been looking at triumphtiger-online protectors for £79 but they look weak compared to some other pics ive seen,also having wind blast problems because im 5ft 10" and dont know which screen to try sports or tall screen, sorry for all these questions but trying to get the bike ready for the easter egg run in blyth northumberland and want it to perform and look its best, i'll keep using my drz 400 in the mean time

CHEERS guys for your help

Chris Canning

Crash protection?? Touratech, screens?? bit like tyres,each to his own,i've always found e'm a trade off,hence the stocker which i've always got on with.

PaulBerg

You can buy an O2 Eliminator from:

http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/index.a ... &catid=215

Made all the difference to mine...

Paul

Quote from: "bigroney"after reading last reply 19 tooth sprocket is being picked up tomorrow going to order K&N air filter next question is what seems to be the best crash protection to use i have been looking at triumphtiger-online protectors for £79 but they look weak compared to some other pics ive seen,also having wind blast problems because im 5ft 10" and dont know which screen to try sports or tall screen, sorry for all these questions but trying to get the bike ready for the easter egg run in blyth northumberland and want it to perform and look its best, i'll keep using my drz 400 in the mean time

CHEERS guys for your help

Without doubt the best crash protection is the Touratech gear. I've tested it and the bike was ridable afterwards but I wasn't.

The screen? As Chris said, it's an individual thing. It'll depend on your measurements and how you sit on the bike etc. etc. etc.  I tried higher but have found that the sports screen works best for me.