News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil again

Started by Ken O'Rourke, March 20, 2007, 02:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken O'Rourke

Well after the rebuild the bike was fine for about 2000Km and now it is using oil again and getting progressivly worse. Triumph is looking at it again. Does any one else's Tiger use oil? If so how much?

Cheers Ken

Bear

No, mind you at 6000km I would hope not. What year is your bike?? (oh, 2005)

Just read your old post, how did you seal up the air box.

The more I read about Triumph the less I feel safe, knowing how much they can dick people around.
2006 Black Tiger
Street Triple (Minister for War & Finance)
DZR 250 K6 (Kids)
KTM 600
TT600
XT250
KT120

Two things are infinite : the universe and human stupidity; I'm not sure about the universe.

Chris Canning

For normal riding here in the Uk,my 2001 uses no oil what so ever,but when travelling Europe long distance at high speed in hot weather,it burns oil then.

Sasquatch

Same with me.  In town dinking around, no oil burn.  Sustained high speed running, I can use a bit.  Every large bore sportbike I ever owned behaved the same.

The following is begging to be tried to a Tiger:

There is a mod that the KLR guys do that is quite popular to help stop oil loss at high speeds that they are notorious for.  They install a simple PCV valve into the breather tube between the motor and the airbox.  NAPA #2-9280 PCV.  My father and I both did this to our KLRs and it did work.

What this does is to create a bit of a vacuum in the cases as the PCV valve is a one way check valve.  This negative pressure in the case helps keep seals sealed and puts a bit more sealing pressure on the rings.  Drag racers have also been doing this for ages and it has shown a few HP gain as well.  They actually run the vent tube to a venturi in the exhaust which creates about 5 in/hg of vacuum though.

Ken O'Rourke

Thanks for the replies, I have a TLS1000 and a 1975 860GT both of which I use on the track and they use little to no oil. How much oil do your Tigers use when they use it. Mine got to 300ml per 1000Km again, that got me worried.

Cheers Ken

Ken O'Rourke

Sorry I forgot to answer Bear's question.

I made sure that the rubber around the Idle air control was seatted correctly, which it wasn't, and used grease around the top and joins of the air box body. The top was not molded correctly and didn't seal. Also I put grease around the air filter face like you would in a dirt bike.

I hope that is of some help

Cheers Ken