News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tires for the '05....

Started by Great Escape Tours, March 01, 2007, 09:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Great Escape Tours

I'm sure there is a thread around here somewhere that deals with great tires for the '02-'05 set, so if there is one just direct me that way...

My currents Tiger paws are getting closer to 'that time' and I'm looking to swap them out with a good pair. I ride 99.3% street on my Tiger.

Thanks in advance!

Dug Shelby
Great Escape Motorcycle Tours

www.great-escape-tours.com

zadok_oz

Bearing in mind that you are mainly a street rider like myself, I perused the forums and found the following three tyres to be recommended by fellow Tiger riders:

Dunlop D607

Michelin Pilot Roads

Pirelli Scorpion ST90

When the time comes I will be checking them out.
Marty F
\'03 Tiger 955i

TigerTrax

Dug...

I've always liked the performance/mileage of the Tourance. They give you extra bite if you go off road, but are excellent 'road tires'.

I think they are superb grip on dry curves and on wet roads.

Try swmoto.com for great pricing/delivery.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

I'll also vote for Tourances. I've done over 40K on them and find they're great. Having said that, I'm going to try the Bridgestone Battlewing next. They're getting a good reputation.

HeyNowRef

Stretch

Heh, I saw that one.  It's hard to please everybody, but if those allegations are true, that fellow is kind of a schmuck...

Anywho, my '05 needs shoes also, and I really, really like the looks and off-road capabilities of the Continental TKC-80's.  I've read a few comments from riders who say they make the bike behave funny.

So my question is:  I understand they're going to behave differently on-road, compared to my Distanzia's (the knobs on TKC's are huge), but for 'round town and day trips, are they really that bad?

I have a Honda 250 trail bike with knobbies, and what's wrong with the ride ain't the tires.   :smt003

Does anyone genuinely despise TKC's, and would you try to talk me out of them?  Why?  (specifically)

burntclutch

A small case against TKCs for standard kit:

I hope to toss on a pair of TKCs during a hopeful adventure on the TAT in a years time but would dread coming home on the highway with them.

Granted, my '98 is a bit diff...but even with Tourances the highway feeling can be really vague and slow steering (say at 80 mph) and with Atlanta traffic, that makes me nervous.

I like to commute on my bike and I need every bit of feedback from the road without looking at it as possible to avoid the manic looney self absorbed idiots that drive here. I'd love to find an extra set of wheels on ebay though.....they'd have TKCs on them. In the meantime I need a compromise tire.

greg

I have ridden around 5000 miles on and off road with TKC's, excellent off road, strange on road at least too start, feels like you have a flat but you get used to that. Obviously lower grip levels on road, and heavy unreponsive steering, you can't dodge potholes!

OK really on road but not as good as say a Tourance. If mixed riding go with them, if road only don't unless you like posing.
2004 Girly.

I had TCK80s on a BMW GS. My take is that they actually have amazing grip for what they are BUT they make bike feel like it's floating. Sort of like riding a lilo on the sea. And you'll be lucky to see 2500 miles out of a rear.

gsp0702

Like yourself i ride almost exclusively road, and swapped my tyres for a set of conti-road attacks which seem to be good road tyres, work well on the Tiger for me and at the end of the day tyres are subjective.

TRKTEK

I ride an '05 which started with Anakee's and they were fine, however after a fresh set of Scorpions....WOW......the lean angle indicators on the foot pegs become somewhat important...... :D
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

John Kenneth Galbraith

Blackcat

what kind of mileage do you get from the scorpions. i have been running d607's for the past 5 years on 2 different tigers and get a little over 6000 on the rear. they are great on the street and in the rain but really suck in the mud.

joe

TRKTEK

I installed them last year prior to my trip out to Edmonton, which was roughly 7500 KM return, and I don't feel compelled to replace them this year...... unless of course I do another cross-continent.....(which I have yet to rule out...)    

Have a great day......

Steve
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

John Kenneth Galbraith

WIDGIN

Quote from: "TRKTEK"I ride an '05 which started with Anakee's and they were fine, however after a fresh set of Scorpions....WOW......the lean angle indicators on the foot pegs become somewhat important...... :D

Are these the Scorpion ST model ? Are these the tires that come on KTM 950's and have decent off-road grip?
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.