News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Member......with a problem!

Started by cpf885, February 26, 2007, 12:50:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpf885

Hi all,

I'm a new member to this forum & this is my first post here.  I have actually posted the problem on "another" Tiger forum so apologies if anyone has read this before.

I own a 1995 885cc Tiger & the swinging arm has cracked at the

pinchbolt on the sprocket side.

While I've been asking around various breakers, I have been told that

it is a common problem with this model. Have you heard of this before

as it is actually the second time that I have had this happen (since

1997 when I bought the bike). The first time it happened, I had a big

fall out with my local dealer as the bike had just come back from

servicing & I thought that they had overtightened the pinchbolt. This

time, I know that this is definately not the case! Have any of you

guys had (or have heard of) the same trouble?

TIA,

Chris F

PS When I've asked an authorised Triumph dealer about it, they said "Yes, it is a common problem but only because people overtighten them".  Is this the perfect "get-out" for them?

I've not had this problem at all "yet" on my 02 955i.

Where are you? Because I have a spare swing arm for a 955i which just has a small chamfer on the under side of where the eccentric fits. It was replaced on mine when I crashed in 04. If they are the same, make me an offer.

cpf885

Quote from: "Blacktiger"I've not had this problem at all "yet" on my 02 955i.

Where are you? Because I have a spare swing arm for a 955i which just has a small chamfer on the under side of where the eccentric fits. It was replaced on mine when I crashed in 04. If they are the same, make me an offer.

Thanks for the offer but I've been told that only the carb models up to '99 will fit.  They changed the design after that!

Quote from: "cpf885"
Quote from: "Blacktiger"I've not had this problem at all "yet" on my 02 955i.

Thanks for the offer but I've been told that only the carb models up to '99 will fit.  They changed the design after that!

Oh well. Good luck with it.

nightowl

That would be up to 98 then in case you go looking for a used one.   Anyway could it not be repaired by welding?

Thanks for the post.  I had not heard of that and will check the torque on mine.

Scott

nightowl

OK, the factory service manual lists the torque for the eccentric clamp at 36 N*m, with a footnote to use copper grease on the threads.   If I did the math right, that is about 26 ft*lbs for us yanks.  Just looking at that assembly and the size of the bolt, 26 ft*lbs on a greased bolt seems pretty high IMHO.  I'm not surprised they are breaking.  I doubt I have mine that tight but I think I'll check it with a torque wrench this weekend.

Scott

TigerTrax

I would contact Triumph in Hinckley. You need to speak with the

person who handles warranties.

I'd simply say that you left your Tiger in good condition with a dealer for service. The service was performed and after tightening the swing arm no mention of cracks was made... and it seems odd they were not spotted then. It is your contention they swing arm bolts were over tightened and caused the cracking. You would like a new swing arm as the bike is not

rideable.

Let Triumph be the bad guy and you work close with the dealer. You need the dealer on your side. I would say look, " Everyone makes a mistake and sometimes they are major, how does this get resolved? Tell him if he can get you a swingarm.... you will install it. ( Each taking a bite of the apple!)

NOTE:

Our local dealer in Iowa, USA probably has a Steamer swingarm in stock off a bike. He ships to UK all the time. E-mail attn: Kevin.

BaxterCycle.com
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

Quote from: "nightowl"Thanks for the post.  I had not heard of that and will check the torque on mine.

Scott

I just sort of tweak mine with the allen key. Not tight at all. There's a lot of material in contact around that big eccentric that it doesn't need to be too tight. Because of friction it won't move very easily. Just "nip it up".