News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

First 3000 Mile Oil Change

Started by Tama's Tigre, September 14, 2007, 09:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tama's Tigre

I've got about 2,900 happy miles on my new 06 Tiger.  How highly do you guys recommend doing an oil change at 3,000 miles  :?:

By the way, my only complaint is an occasional false neutral between 5th & 6th gears  :(

blacktiger

Stick to the service schedule. 6000 mile is the next one. It'll have fully synthetic in it now so there's no point in changing it early at 3K. Waste of money IMHO.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

greg

Don't mention the false neutral, or everyone will want one.
6.000 for oil.
2004 Girly.

WIDGIN

I waited until 5,700 and then changed to full synthetic.  False neutral between 5th and 6th beats jumping out of 1st occaisonally when leaving a light.  Is this a false 1st?   :P
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

HockleyBoy

Didn't do mine until 6,000 and the engine is sweet :D
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

geoff

I have an 06 Tiger and have also noticed that it has a false neutral between 5th and 6th gears. It is usually found shifting up to 6th if I do not give the shift lever a positive nudge. My bike has now done 3000km and I think that the situation might improve as the gearbox wears.

Another thing that I have noticed is that the shift lever movement feels noticeably smaller between 5th and 6th gears compared to any of the other gears. I wonder if other 955 Tigers are similar? This could also be why the false neutral happens between these gears and not the others?  :?

blacktiger

Quote from: "geoff"Another thing that I have noticed is that the shift lever movement feels noticeably smaller between 5th and 6th gears compared to any of the other gears. I wonder if other 955 Tigers are similar? This could also be why the false neutral happens between these gears and not the others?  :?

Not too sure about the travel being different but I do notice a distinct double notch when taking 6th.
Also, I'll mention that with 47000 miles up the 'box is still a bit notchy but you adapt. I have found the false neutrals mentioned but only at quite high revs. Everything snicks in nicely when short shifting below 6K.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Mudhen

You fuelies aren't the only ones with 5-6 false neutrals...my Steamer does the same thing.  42k miles on it now, so hopefully it's just a break-in thing   :lol:

At least my bike gets to see 9k rpms once in awhile...  :shock:
\'96 Steamer

jsingraham

My 06 will probably turn over 2000 miles in the next couple of days and yes, I occasionally experience the false neutral, but as stated before, the higher rpm shifts seem to make it worse...I had a 98 prior to this one and acted nearly the same, and I also noticed it at higher rpm's, just as my friends 06.  Maybe we can honestly say....

"They all do that!"

Jason
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)

tigerdown

Go and change it NOW.Synthetic or not makes no difference,The oil will be full of 'sparkley bits'You cannot change it enough with a new motor

geoff

I agree with Tigerdown that you can't change your oil to often. I had the oil on my 06 changed at 3000km because it had reached 1 year since the initial servicing. If in doubt it won't hurt to change the oil.

Looks like the 5th - 6th false neutral is not uncommon on all types of Tigers so I guess to be a Tiger rider you can't be a pussy with your gear change foot    8)

swamper650

My 02 Tiger with 24k on the odo is still takes a firm shift to fully engage the next gear. My  14k 99 TBS is really quite slick....just a nudge and it is in the next gear   up or down. I use full synthetic  in both Triumphs and change every 3k. May be a bit of overkill, but here in Florida it gets dang hot!
You don\'t quit riding because you get old...you get old when you quit riding