News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rotor ,rotors and more rotors

Started by William Reber, October 10, 2007, 06:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

William Reber

:(  After only 18,000 miles my 06 will have the third set of rotors (front) I would think knowing they have a bad batch of rotors Triump would have perged the bad lot like most companies would do ? This is a true pain in the butt ! Any one know of a after market rotor for these bikes ?

HockleyBoy

05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

wasions

Cheese!  :shock:

At 23.5K, I just put on my first set of pads.
Steve

Gear up!

<*}}}><

\'06 Tiger, \'99 DR350

blacktiger

Quote from: "William Reber":(  After only 18,000 miles my 06 will have the third set of rotors (front)

What are you doing to them? I've still got the originals on my '02 at 48000 miles.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

William Reber

:?: dealer said bad lot with soft spots the time he put the second set on , Triumph said only bad lot they had was in 02. I have rode 40 plus years and untill now never put a set on any other bike and all were ran over 50K miles before traded or sold. So I don't know what's up with this ?

Stretch

My '05 had bad front rotors, but they were replaced under warranty.  The new ones have been on since early May, with lots of miles and some hard use... no problems.

iceweazel

There were a number of threads on the old board about bad front rotors.
There was apparently some casting problem with fronts that were inconsistently thick.  Feels like a pulsing during slow speed braking.

Most people got the dealer to swap a couple sets in until they got a decent pair.  Or went to the EBCs.  

I think mine have always been a problem but I'm too damn lazy to replace em.  Stops fine, but its wicked annoying during slow speed maneuvers.  Eventually I'll just get the EBCs more than likely.

Advwannabe

Hi Iceweazel,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Expensive little suckers aren't they?

I was in the unhappy position of having to replace the rotors in both Tigger and my FJ1200.

In both cases I've replaced stock with metal gear rotors. Australian company that designs the rotors and has them manufactered in Germany.

Both sets cost around $300 Oz and came with a set of brake pads. My bitumen riding style is let's say 'spirited' but I've yet to overheat or fade the brakes and they seem progressive.

Looks are close to stock and quality of finish is good.  

http://www.metalgear.com.au/products-brakedisk.asp if you're interested

There the old stock verses aftermarket argument that could start up here
but as long as the engineering is sound and the quality is good I could care less. My Triumph dealer is selling them as a back door alternative to the very expensive stock items.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

iceweazel

Thanks for the info on the Metalgears.  I'm sure to drop them a line.  My cast wheel model only seems to have solid rotor options on their site.     I'd need to find a distributor to order from as well to get an idea on price.

Ed