News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Chain adjusters Tiger -99

Started by zopilote, December 23, 2007, 01:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopilote

I have just changed both tires on my new -99 Tiger 900.
When i had mounted the rear wheel, i noticed that the eccentric chain adjuster on the left side was not flush against the swingarm like the one on the right side. The outer surface on the left one are about 1-2mm outside the outer edge of the swingarm. I have a Haynes manual and have mounted all spacers according to that, and all torgues are right. Is this normal, or have i mounted anything wrong?
I have not used any grease on the adjusters, only on the axle and the spacers.
I hope you understand what i mean... English is not my first language.  :oops:
Thanks for all help and Merry Christmas to you all!

Bruincounselor

The adjusters should be flush on both sides. I suggest you loosen the adjuster clamp bolts and retorque the axle. This usually gets things back in order for me.

Bruin'
Bruin\'

zopilote

Ok, thanks! The only thing i can think of maybe doing wrong, is that i tightened the wheel axle to correct torgue while the clamp bolts were loose. I will disassemble it again after christmas and try again with the clamping bolts tightened while mounting the wheel.
Sorry for stupid questions, but i have never owned a bike with this solution for chain adjustment before.  :oops:

zopilote

Well, now i have taken a few hours off from kids and christmas gifts, and visited my dear Tiger again. I disassembled the rear wheel again, cleaned and greased all parts, including the swingarm and the adjusters (no grease there).
Then i mounted the adjusters and torgued the bolts. When i mounted the rear wheel again i had to bend apart the swingarm a little to get the wheel to fit between the adjusters and of course: As soon as i loosened the adjuster bolts to stretch the chain the left adjuster popped out approx 1mm...  :(
I give up now...What could be wrong??? Either is the rear wheel too wide, or the swingarm too narrow. I can not find anything i have done wrong according to the Hanyes manual.

blacktiger

Mine's exactly the same. I wouldn't worry about it. They can't make all the bits exactly the same especially the swingarm. There has to be tolerances. I just tweak the swingarm out with the handle of a hammer as I'm tightening the eccentric clamps.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

zopilote

Thanks BlackTiger! Now i can relax, knowing that it possibly isnĀ“t anything I have done wrong  :roll:
Besides this little issue, it seems to be a very clever system for adjusting the chain, as the rear wheel is more or less auto-aligning when you adjust.

iansoady

Quote from: "zopilote"Besides this little issue, it seems to be a very clever system for adjusting the chain, as the rear wheel is more or less auto-aligning when you adjust.

Agreed, the later ones seem a retrograde step to me. Once you have the wheels properly aligned, they will stay that way as long as you keep the spindle done up when you adjust the chain - the whole lot will rotate.

Mind you I've only adjusted mine a couple of times in 10,000 miles and that was minimally both times.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650