News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Upgrading to 1050

Started by ChrisN, February 17, 2008, 06:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisN

After 3 consecutive 955i Tigers I've placed my order for a new white 1050 for a 1st March delivery.

I'm looking forward to discovering a whole new bike, but also a little sad to part with my last 955. They've been great bikes and have given me many trouble-free miles.

I've bought a new Garmin Zumo already, and I'm busy shopping for the "essential" accessories which in the past I simply transferred from bike to bike.

Anyone interested in a 955 Caspian Blue Top Box drop me a PM.

Chris

oldrider

Respectfully, I think your heading for your thread is invalid, I think you are changing your bike model to a 1050.

To claim that you are "upgrading" is a little subjective and maybe even premature.

Personally, I like the engine and front of the 1050 but from the rider's seat back, they are the pits. (IMO)

The under-slung back brake caliper and the high sports bike pillion seat are two things that put me right off them.

If they (Triumph) had left the 06 rear end on the 07 front I would have been keen to try one, the engines are supreme.

Good luck with yours, they are after-all very much a personal choice item. Cheers John.
Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

Advwannabe

Dunno Oldrider,

As you yourself pointed out, these things are subjective.

If Chris believes he's upgrading, he's upgrading!

Hope you love your new ride Chris, I hope the rumours of an adventure version turn out to be true though...
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

oldrider

Quote from: "Advwannabe"Dunno Oldrider,

As you yourself pointed out, these things are subjective.

If Chris believes he's upgrading, he's upgrading!

Hope you love your new ride Chris, I hope the rumours of an adventure version turn out to be true though...

Care to share the rumours? I have not heard any!  Cheers John.

Chris Canning

Hi Christoph

Well at least you'll be able to use the motor as you'll be on some decent rubber at long last,that most certainley is an upgrade,if your 'Billy no Mates' then the pillion doesn't matter,unfortunately i'm with OR as i ride two up all the time the back end is nothing short of an utter disaster,haveing said that,so's the ST,i'd like to sit John Bloor on the back of either and give him 500 miles at high speed,something would get done then,thats for for sure.

I'm finding that slowly but surely i'm going up a dead end,my bits won't fit the later Tigers,and my other half gets on a bike like i do,so there's non of this micky mouse,'Stand on one peg while rider struggles for dear life to keep the bike upright nonsense',which takes the 1050 out of the equation,i've a plan but it sure as hell doesn't involve Triumph,which is a shame because my Tiger in it's present spec is the best mile muncher i've ever had.

Although i did have a conversation this past weekend about grafting a 1050 motor in my 955 :wink:

We'll have to meet up the Ponderosa one of these days.

Chris

ChrisN

Hi Chris,

I know what you mean about the short-comings of the 1050 and slowly but surely I've talked myself around most of them.
There's no way I'll be putting a Triumph topbox on the back without a drop down rope ladder to get into it!

And as my daughter has just discovered boys I do ride mostly solo these days, so pillion considerations are pretty low down on my list.
Anyway, less of the Billy No Mates tag, just because you can't get out the house without the boss  :roll:

I'm certainly relishing the thought of the new 1050 motor and road rubber.
Delivery is this thursday and then the long wait until 1st March.
I've already got 2 trips into Europe planned for later this year but if you're heading for the Ponderosa this summer drop me a PM and we'll make it a date  :wink:
Chris

ChrisN

Oldrider / Advwannabe,

You guys from down-under seem to be getting your UPgrade and DOWNgrade mixed up  :shock:

The one thing I'm sure it will be is an exciting change  8)
Chris

Chris Canning

Hi Chris

I'll save you a lot of hassle,no idea what the stock tyres are but replace e'm with Michelin Road 02's,i run use e'm on both my Tiger and my BM and their something else,they completely kill the problem of good rubber and long life.

Advwannabe

Quote from: "oldrider"[

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 776&page=2

It's 'only' an MCN rumour, a magazine renouned for never letting the truth get in the way of a good photoshop, but I'll take any hope I can get
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

oldrider

Quote from: "Advwannabe"
Quote from: "oldrider"[

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 776&page=2

It's 'only' an MCN rumour, a magazine renouned for never letting the truth get in the way of a good photoshop, but I'll take any hope I can get

Thank you, I guess rumours keep us on our toes and sell magazines.

I am off to Christchurch tomorrow for our Tigers 20,000km (12,000mile) warranty check, so have been cleaning and polishing it today.

The damn thing is going so good at the moment, I don't really feel I want them messing around with it!

Hope I don't just get ripped off and have to do it all again when I get home, I am not too sure if have a lot of faith in this warranty business.

Oh well, we will soon know wont we!    :roll:  Cheers John.

TigerTrax

Just a note:
My manual states routine service: Whichever comes first.

800 km   10,000 km   20,000 km   30,000 km   40,000 km   50,000 km
500 mi     6,000 mi     12,000 mi    18,000 mi    24,000 mi    30,000 mi
1 month   1 year         2 years        3 years       4 years       5 years

At 10,00 KM:
Oil-Filter; Check ECM ( computer ) for stored DTC's;Throttle Cable; Coolant; Fuel system for leaks; Steering; Forks for leaks/operation; Brake lights; Brake Pads; Chain/Adjust; Wheels/Tires; Clutch Cable.

At 20,000 km: Same as above PLUS: This will be costly.
Valve clearance + Adjust; New air filter; Check Spark Plugs; Adj Throttle Bodies; New Fuel Filter; Adj/Lube Headstock bearings;
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'