News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Weird idling, no idling

Started by geotiger, February 11, 2008, 11:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geotiger

Hey all,

I noticed something that I haven't ever seen with my 2005 Tiger with just over 12,000 miles on it.  I was riding down a normal street in town here at about 50 mph and left it in 2nd (~5500 rpm) the whole time, about 2 miles.  When I hit the next stop light, the bike nearly died. It acted like it was loaded up with fuel or something like that. I blipped the throttle a couple times and held it open, then it cleaned up.

Ever since then, the throttle cable feels a little tighter than usual.  It feels like it doesn't retract all the way.  

The same thing happened yesterday when I went out for a little ride.  Except this time it died and it took me a few seconds to get it started again.  I was riding it normally, didn't even get over 30 mph when it happened this time.  

The bike just feels a little tight to me now.  When I give it a lot of gas it just feels like it has a little restriction that it didn't have before.  I don't know if the throttle bodies may have gotten out of sync or what.  Any ideas.

I am going to get her 12k mile service in a couple weeks.  The check engine light has not come on if that helps.

Thanks,
Nathan
"The one thing we can learn from history is that we don\'t learn from history." - Shaw

NortonCharlie

Have them take a good look over the throttle position sensor.  It is the only mechanical part to the system (I can think of) that might effect the way it feels to open and close the throttle.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

geotiger

Quote from: "NortonCharlie"Have them take a good look over the throttle position sensor.  It is the only mechanical part to the system (I can think of) that might effect the way it feels to open and close the throttle.

I thought of that last night and will have them check it when I get it to the shop.  

Thanks.
"The one thing we can learn from history is that we don\'t learn from history." - Shaw

mark.d.rivers

I had similar problems with mine. It would die on me for no good reason. When you shut the throttle the revs would drop right past idle and all the way down to zero.
It took two years and a change of just about every other part of the bike. Finally we changed the throttle position sensor because it was the last thing left.
Bastards I call 'em!
Mark

2000 Tiger 885i in Lightning Yellow
1995 XJ900 Diversion in bits